""Atlas"": The Lizard King Hyssa raids a small Mediterranean village, enslaving and killing dozens of people. One youth named Atlas survives the attack, but his family is not quite so lucky. He comes under the care of a man named Chagra who recognizes that Atlas is from the
Appearing in "Atlas"
- Atlas (First appearance)
- King Hyssa
- Crystal Mountain
- Lizard Kingdom
Synopsis for "Atlas"
The Lizard King Hyssa raids a small Mediterranean village, enslaving and killing dozens of people. One youth named Atlas survives the attack, but his family is not quite so lucky. He comes under the care of a man named Chagra who recognizes that Atlas is from the Crystal Mountain. He protects Atlas from Hyssa's war party and after they leave, Atlas returns to his home community to find it burned to the ground. Recovering a shard from the Crystal Mountain, he swears revenge against King Hyssa.
Years pass, and Atlas grows into a powerful man gifted with Herculean strength and stamina. Chagra remains by his side and promises to lead Atlas to the beast responsible for killing his people if he in turn will lead him to the Crystal Mountain.
Atlas and Chagra reach the Lizard Kingdom where he exhibits more great feats of strength. He wins in a challenge against a man named Kargin and finds himself at odds with one of the King's nobles, a man who sends his slaves and archers to take him down. Atlas survives the conflict and continues on his quest.
- This book was first published on January 23, 1975.
- This issue is divided into four chapters:
- Atlas the Great!
- Atlas the Untamed
- The Human Lizard
- Atlas is not to be confused with the Greek God by the same name.
- A modernized version of Atlas began making appearances in 2008 in the pages of Superman.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss 1st Issue Special Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the 1st Issue Special series
Links and References
- 1st Issue Special article at Wikipedia
- 1st Issue Special series index at the Grand Comics Database
- 1st Issue Special series index at Comicbookdb.com
- 1st Issue Special series index at CBDB
- Atlas profile at the Unofficial Guide to DC Comics