""The Green Team"": The Green Team consists of Commodore Murphy, a shipping tycoon, J.P. Houston, an oil magnate, and Cecil Sunbeam, a Hollywood producer. Through a combination of a bank error and luck in
- Honestly, J.P., you hassle me! I spend a fortune to build you a runway and you pull this sky-diving act.
Appearing in "The Green Team"
- The Green Team (First appearance)
- James (First appearance)
- Missy (First appearance)
- David D. Meritt (Single appearance)
- Ezra (Single appearance)
- Jason (Single appearance)
- Mr. Goodrich (Single appearance)
- Mr. Houston (Single appearance)
- Professor Apple (Single appearance)
- Professor Dinkle (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Green Team"
The Green Team consists of Commodore Murphy, a shipping tycoon, J.P. Houston, an oil magnate, and Cecil Sunbeam, a Hollywood producer. Through a combination of a bank error and luck in the stock market, shoe shine boy Abdul Smith is able to acquire the needed one million dollars to join the team.
The team meets weekly to finance adventures and inventions. Professor Apple pitches his Great American Pleasure (G.A.P.) machine to the boys. It is a large building in which people will take a journey for days at a time. Computers will stimulate the pleasure centers in the brain. Excited, the boys decide to finance the machine.
As the machine is being built, Broadway producer David D. Merrit organizes a mob to attack the boys, claiming the machine will mean the end of theatre, television, sporting events, and even comic books. The boys retreat to the Green Room, waiting out the seige.
When the machine is completed, the boys suit up in their uniforms - green jumpsuits that contain a quarter of a million dollars in various pockets, plus a ticker tape wrist watch - and head out to the G.A.P. When they arrive at the rooftop of their building, they find their helicopters stolen by Merrit's henchmen. The boys throw the money around, causing the henchmen to land to grab some cash. When they do, they boys take back helicopter.
The boys arrive at the G.A.P. just behind Merrit. Merrit runs into the machine, intending to use it before destroying it. The boys watch Merrit's ten-day journey through the machine on their closed circuit television in the Green Room. After five days, the television goes black, short-circuiting.
Sometime later, the boys arrive at a hospital to see Merrit. They are shocked to find him in a strait jacket in a rubber room. Merrit was driven insane by too much pleasure. They boys decide to destroy the G.A.P. with Murphy's model boat that can fire explosive missiles.
- This story was originally intended for the unpublished Green Team #1. Stories completed for Green Team #2 & #3 were eventually printed in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss 1st Issue Special Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the 1st Issue Special series
- Images from 1st Issue Special Vol 1 2
Links and References
- 1st Issue Special article at Wikipedia
- 1st Issue Special series index at the Grand Comics Database
- 1st Issue Special series index at Comicbookdb.com
- 1st Issue Special series index at CBDB
- Joe Simon article at Wikipedia
- Jerry Grandenetti article at Wikipedia