- Can you believe this so-called artist has incorporated my missing Red Tornado android into one of his awful sculptures? Scam artist, more like! The bastard's making me bid in a humiliating online auction! Little does he know I'm hacking his bank account to pay for it!
Appearing in "Mad Science"
- Clark Kent
- Johnny Warrawa (Behind the scenes)
- Red Tornado (John Smith) (Cameo)
- Mercury (Behind the scenes)
- Justice Society of America
- Kinetic Hammer
- Steel's Armor
- Bug Baron's Insectrons
- Doctor Mortis' Super-Hood Mark 2
- Kombrade Krabb's Neuro Crown
- Will Magnus' Plutonium Man (inert)
Synopsis for "Mad Science"
The members of the Science Squad gather around the monitoring station to watch Black Adam's progress. He is only moments away from smashing his way through the island's defenses. Professor T.O. Morrow is the only scientist unconcerned with Adam's rampage. He is more interested in purchasing the remains of Red Tornado off an Internet auction. The terrified scientists begin activating the defenses that they personally constructed, but Dr. Sivana, the only one not in a state of panic, says that it will only make Black Adam mad. In fact, he's enjoying the "show".
While Black Adam's attack commences, Veronica Cale pulls Will Magnus into one of the unoccupied lab stations for a moment of passion. Afterwards, Cale can no longer endure the guilt she feels over the part she played in creating the Four Horseman. She tells Magnus that it's no longer about Intergang or Chang Tzu: the forces of evil are preparing for a final crisis, and by raising the Four Horsemen, they helped bring it about. She walks outside to await Black Adam’s judgment, but the villain, ignoring her, rushes past and smashes into the compound.
With Adam finally in the compound, I.Q. rallies the scientists to fight back against Black Adam. Doctor Tyme and Doctor Cyclops try to keep Adam at bay with their hi-tech weaponry, but this barely even slows him down. Finally, Professor Morrow takes a break from his auction long enough to use a remote that unfolds the dimensions of space the size of a football field in Adam's mind, which brings the Black Marvel to his knees. Doctor Sivana briefly immobilizes him with a Neuro Crown. Meanwhile, Professor Morrow wins his auction.
In Metropolis, Steel, Starlight and several police officers frog-march Lex Luthor out of the Lexcorp building. The press corps are present to witness Luthor's downfall, including Clark Kent. Clark grows immediately suspicious and rushes past the police line into the building. Steel follows him, and Clark tells him that Lex would never give up so easily. Clark's suspicions prove truthful as they find the true Lex Luthor inside of a lead-lined hidden room. The Luthor in police custody is actually Everyman. Everyman reveals his true visage, but Starlight (now wearing an armor battle suit again) beats him down.
In Bialya, the Justice Society vainly search for survivors. Green Lantern somberly indicates that he has accounted for over two-million dead. Jay and Ted are concerned over the state of affairs in the current super-hero community – specifically the JSA legacy heroes. As if on cue, Atom-Smasher arrives and volunteers his assistance in tracking down Black Adam.
Appearing in "The Origin of Batman"
- (flashback only)
- (flashback only)
- (flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Origin of Batman"
As a young boy, Bruce Wayne's parents were slain by a random mugger right before his eyes. Driven by the loss of innocence, Bruce devoted himself to seeking justice. As an adult he trained under the world's foremost martial arts masters. One evening, a bat crashed through the window of his father’s study inspiring Bruce to adopt the mantle of the Batman.
- This issue shipped on March 21st, 2007.
- The man who is selling the Red Tornado sculpture on the online auction is Johnny Warrawa. Johnny began working on the Red Tornado in 52 Week Twenty-One.
- The ticker-tape running along the bottom of the cover reads, "Mad Monster Party on Oolong Island... Luthor vs. the Law..."
- Chang Tzu's name is mis-spelled as Chung Tzu in this issue.
- Doctor Sivana says that Black Adam possesses the power of seven gods, when infact he only has the power of six.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss 52 Vol 1 46 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the 52 series
- Images from 52 Vol 1 46
Links and References
- 52: The Comic
- 52 article/interview with editor Stephen Wacker
- 52 series index at the Grand Comics Database