- Some questions can only be answered with a mask.
Appearing in "Asked and Answered"
Synopsis for "Asked and Answered"
Nightwing and Montoya raid a night-club and fight against more Intergang members. They still have no idea where Bruno Manheim is however.
Nightwing and Montoya burst into Kathy Kane's home only to find that Whisper A'Daire and her mutated Intergang agents have already arrived. While Dick and Renée fight off the creatures, Whisper gets the drop on Kathy. She injects her with a drug and takes her to a hidden sanctuary.
Nightwing and Montoya continue fighting Intergang's monster horde. One of their number however, Brother Abbot, betrays his colleagues and joins with Dick and Montoya. He no longer believes in the prophecy and he thinks that Manheim and Whisper are insane.
Before fleeing the crime scene, the monsters activate a device which sets off satellite energy cannons all across the city. Montoya tells Dick that he is the only that can find all of the devices in time and shut them down. Meanwhile, she plans on tracking down Kathy. As she leaves, Renée activates a sample of Pseudoderm and uses it to disguise her face. She has now adopted the identity of the Question.
Montoya follows Intergang's trail to Cathedral Square where Kathy is being held captive. As she enters the church, she finds Bruno Manheim standing before an altar preparing to offer Kathy up as a human sacrifice. Renee fights past several more monster-men, but she is too late. Manheim plunges a ritualistic dagger into Kathy's chest. She begins shooting wildly at Manheim driving him back against the wall. While the two fight, Kathy struggles to rise from the altar. She pulls the dagger from her chest and hurls it at Manheim. The knife plunges into his back and he falls over dead. Montoya rushes to Kane’s side. She only has moments to live.
Appearing in "The Origin of the Birds of Prey"
- The Joker (Cameo) (Flashback only)
- JLA (Cameo)
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Birds of Prey"
This is the origins of how Barbara Gordon assumes a new identity and assembles a team of female superheroes.
- This issue shipped on April 4th, 2007.
- First appearance of Renée Montoya as the new Question.
- Altough it appears that Batwoman dies in this issue, she actually survives Manheim's attack, and returns in 52 Week Fifty-Two.
- The ticker-tape on the bottom of the cover reads, "The Prophecy comes true... Gotham burns... Montoya answers the Question..."
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss 52 Vol 1 48 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the 52 series
Links and References
- 52: The Comic
- 52 article/interview with editor Stephen Wacker
- 52 series index at the Grand Comics Database