- Drop it. I have a particle wave ray gun and bipolar disorder! I have no idea what it might do to you if I pull the trigger.
- -- Will Magnus
Appearing in "Eve of Destruction"
Synopsis for "Eve of Destruction"
The Justice Society of America arrive on Oolong Island. Green Lantern pressures Chang Tzu into relinquishing their hold of Black Adam over to them. Chang Tzu has no intention of releasing Atom, but he is willing to barter for Adam's life.
Chang Tzu goes back inside the compound to check on Will Magnus and his Plutonium Man creation. Magnus explains to him the science behind the Responsometer technology. He then releases miniaturized versions of the Metal Men and orders them to attack Chang Tzu.
Meanwhile, the Great Ten set down on the shores of Oolong Island and confront the JSA. They want the JSA to stand down or else risk an international incident. Alan Scott theorizes that Chang Tzu is actually a member of the Great Ten and that they are all in league with one another. Scott is adamant and tells them that they are retrieving Black Adam and that he will be brought to justice.
Chang Tzu meanwhile attempts to fight off the Metal Men. Doctor Magnus produces a particle wave gun and blasts Chang Tzu's shell, killing him. Professor Morrow enters the chamber soon after, and knows that he has lost. Magnus, sympathetic towards Morrow due to their history together gives him the opportunity to escape justice.
As the JSA raid the compound, Atom-Smasher finds Black Adam in one of Doctor Sivana’s laboratories. He frees him from captivity and asks him if he was really responsible for the massacre on Bialya. Adam tells him, "They wanted a war, Albert. I'm going to give it to them" and flies off.
Appearing in "The Origin of the Justice Society of America"
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Justice Society of America"
The origin of the Justice Society of America is briefly recapped in this story.
- This issue shipped on April 11th, 2007.
- First appearance of Renée Montoya as the new Question.
- Altough it appears that Batwoman dies in this issue, she actually survives Manheim's attack, and returns in 52 Week Fifty-Two.
- The ticker-tape on the bottom of the cover reads, "His name is Magnus, Will Magnus... The Diabolical Egg-Fu: Shaken, Stirred and Cracked? Mini-Metal Men missiles...".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss 52 Vol 1 49 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the 52 series
- Images from 52 Vol 1 49
Links and References
- 52: The Comic
- 52 article/interview with editor Stephen Wacker
- 52 series index at the Grand Comics Database