Harpis was the younger of two sisters from the planet Aello. Years ago, Harpis and her sister Demonia traveled to the planet Rashashoon where they became professional "providers" at a bordello in the city of Raggashoon operated by Mama Madame. They were both thrilled with the prospect of earning wealth and power and living in the sort of opulence that only Mama Madame could provide. A'Haarp found herself highly suited to most of Raggashoon's clients and became one of Madame's most popular providers - even more so than her jealous, yet protective sister Demonia. Although Mama Madame usually catered to clients loyal to the Citadel, she also provided companionship to various revolutionaries. During these years, Harpis had relations with the Karnan Tigorr, as well as Tigorr's second-in-command Delengis Jarouq, the latter of whom she fell deeply in love with. Such attachment was strongly discouraged amongst those under Mama Madame's charge and it was made all the worse by the fact that Jarouq was a revolutionary.
One evening, a high ranking Citadel leader, Komand'r of Tamaran, came to Raggashoon to find suitable mates for her troops. Harpis and Demonia were both selected, but Komand'r was not content with simply hiring them for an evening. She had both women undergo drastic genetic modification so that they would be physically alluring for their selected mates. Demonia was transformed into a serpentine woman whose visage reflected her twisted heart. Harpis was turned into a winged bat-like creature with claws and a tail. While Demonia embraced her new appearance, Harpis was horrified. Komand'r would often times have the women present at battle sites so they could witness their mates in action. Harpis was present when Komand'r's forces fought against Tigorr's revolutionaries at the Battle of Tamaran. Seeing her lover Delengis Jarouq present on the field, she could no longer sit idly by and do nothing. She fled from her keepers and joined the ranks of the revolutionaries. The revolt failed, and Harpis was sent to a prison planet along with Delengis and Tigorr.
While in prison, Harpis learned that another band of revolutionaries led by the warriors Primus, Broot and Kalista had staged a breakout. This incident exploded into a violent firefight and Jarouq was gravely injured. Demonia, seeking to protect her sister, told her that Jarouq had died, when in fact he still lived. Free from captivity, Harpis, Demonia and Tigorr joined with Primus' team to form the Omega Men. 
Harpis and Demonia were members of the Omega Men. During the Citadel War, Harpis' teammate Kalista learned that her home planet Euphorix was under attack and took the Omega Men's mothership on a rescue missions. Harpis attended Kalista, but after a perilous jump through hyperspace, they found themselves set upon by the Citadel's hired bounty hunters Lobo, Bedlam and Berserk. While Lobo fought with Kalista, Harpis engaged in combat with Bedlam who savagely tore her wings off and left her for dead. Harpis remained comatose on the ship for several days until she was recovered by the Citadel's human agent Harry Hokum. 
She was soon reunited with the Omega Men, but her injuries and the revelation that her sister was dead (killed by Tigorr after betraying the Omega Men) caused her great psychological scarring. In the hopes of healing her, the Omega Men brought her back to Raggashoon. There, Mama Madame used a combination of technology and psychotropic techniques to repair Harpis' fractured mind. 
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Alien Physiology
- Claws: Harpis has razor-sharp talons on both her hands and feet.
- Flight: Harpis is capable of winged flight. She usually prefers gliding when the opportunity allows so that she can conserve energy.
Harpis' great wingspan makes her a highly visible target for attackers.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Harpis was born with the name Hwiirdh-Paan, but was provided with the honorific A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A, with double A's bracketing her name, in recognition of acts of meritorious valor on Aello.
- Omega Men (Volume 1)
- Adam Strange (Volume 2)
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe X
- Appearances of A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A (New Earth)
- Images featuring A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A (New Earth)
- A'Hwiirdh-Paan'A (New Earth) at Wikipedia.org
- Harpis at Comic Vine
- Harpis at DC Indexes
- Harpis at DCU Guide
- Harpis at Cosmic Teams
- Harpis at Comicbookdb.com
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Omega Men member|
This character is or was a member of the Omega Men, intergalactic freedom fighters who operate in the Vega system, one of the most dangerous sectors of the universe. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Omega Men members category."