Abigail Holland was born into the Aristocratic Arcane family of Transylvania. She was raised by her father Gregori in Castle Arcane, and when she was eighteen-years-old became a medic in the nearby Balkan village. In 1973, Interpol agent Matthew Cable came to Transylvania investigating the alleged murders of his friends Alec and Linda Holland. He believed that a strange creature known as the Swamp Thing was responsible for their deaths. He met Abby and became instantly smitten with her. At this time, Abby had a brief encounter with the bizarre Patchwork Man, and came to realize that he was actually the mute and disfigured form of her father, Gregori. It was also at this time that Abby first encountered another monstrosity – the Swamp Thing. The Swamp Thing and the Patchwork Man found themselves embroiled in a conflict with the Un-Men, a battle that resulted in the destruction of Castle Arcane.
Following the destruction of the ancestral estate, Abby agreed to leave Transylvania with Matt. She shared in several strange adventures with Matt and tried to convince him to abandon his obsessive desire to destroy the Swamp Thing. Before long, Abby reciprocated Matthew's love and the two were married. Matt arranged for Abby to become a U.S. citizen. They both soon discovered that Alec Holland was the Swamp Thing and Cable abandoned his hunt for Alec's killer (though it would turn out that the Swamp Thing was not Alec Holland after all). After many harrowing incidents with one another, the marriage between Abigail and Matt began to fall apart. She began slowly developing feelings for the Swamp Thing. Cable meanwhile became the victim of Abby's uncle Anton Arcane. After attempting to possess his body, Matthew Cable lapsed into a coma and eventually died. Distraught Abigail found comfort in the arms of the Swamp Thing. The two fell in love and married each other in their own unique private ceremony.
This history is continued in The New 52 at Abigail Arcane (Prime Earth).
- Psychokinesis: Abigail Holland is a natural psychic whose abilities began to develop when she was a child.
- Empathy: Abby possesses a natural emotional affinity towards other living things. At first terrified by such an ability, Abby later accepted the power to feel the emotions of others and it was this ability that drove her towards pursuing a career in medicine. Abby's empathic control is what also enabled her to recognize her father as the Patchwork Man, and also paved the way for her romantic relationship and later marriage to Alec Holland, the Swamp Thing.
- Telepathy: In connection with her empathic control, Abby can also perceive mental impressions from the minds of others and on a low level, transmit her thoughts to other people as well. She once used this ability to telepathically sense Alec Holland's soul which had been trapped in a mystic globe by the Nebiros.
- Medical Science: Abigail Holland is experienced in the field of basic medicine and first aid.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Like John Constantine, Abby is one of the few DC Universe supporting characters that ages in real time, due to publication in the Vertigo imprint. She turned 50 years old in late 2005, having only been a teenager in her first appearance in 1973.
- Abby's marriage to the Swamp Thing was conducted through Neopagan ritual and is not legally recognized by any state or organized religion.
- Abby's white hair with black streaks appears to be a dominant hereditary trait among the Arcane women. Her grandmother Anaïs Arcane had similar hair as does Abby's daughter Tefé.
- Swamp Thing (Volume 1)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 2)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 3)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 4)
- Swamp Thing (Volume 5)
- 205 Appearances of Abigail Arcane (New Earth)
- 22 Images featuring Abigail Arcane (New Earth)
- 19 Quotations by or about Abigail Arcane (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Abigail Arcane (New Earth)
This character exists under the Vertigo Imprint which is intended for Mature Readers. Vertigo titles although they may cross over into regular DC continuity.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Vertigo Characters."
Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.