Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The man who calls himself Achilles is actually a con artist who, through the use of a clever ruse, was able to convince the general public for a time that he was the descendant of the mythical Greek warrior Achilles, who, according to ancient legend, was invulnerable in all places except for the heel of one foot after being dipped in the waters of the River Styx by his mother, who held him by that heel as she did so. The Achilles con artist claimed the same invulnerability, and after gathering a gang around himself, used this as a method for committing spectacular crimes.
In order to perpetuate this ruse, Achilles the con artist wore a specially designed leaden box around one of his feet. Ostensibly, this was to protect his "Achilles heel" from harm, but in actuality, the box contained a powerful anti-magnetic generator. This generator created a powerful force-field around his entire body, allowing it to repel any object made of metal. Thus, whenever someone attempted to harm him with a knife or by shooting at him, the metallic objects would be repelled away from him...bolstering his claim to be invulnerable. Additionally, he also wore a medallion made of Kryptonite, to keep Superman away from him.
When Achilles took his crime wave to Metropolis, NY, Superman was able to quickly see through the ruse and worked with the police to apprehend Achilles and reveal the hoax. Since that time, Achilles has been in prison, and his foolishness has earned him only scorn.
Lead box with electro-magnets in it to repel metals
- This version of Achilles, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- This man may have became an assassin who fought Batman later in life, but that is more likely to have been another person calling himself Achilles.
- 1 Appearances of Achilles (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Achilles (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Achilles (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Achilles (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."