Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Super-Duel in Space": Clark Kent and Lois Lane are guest passengers aboard the Columbus – Earth's first manned space vessel. Shortly after breaking the planet's atmosphere, they encounter a strange, alien flying saucer. The ship belon
- You're only wearing yourself out, Punyman! Even if you threw the Earth itself, it would only bounce off my Ultra-Force Shield! Ha, Ha!
- -- Brainiac
Appearing in "The Super-Duel in Space"
- Brainiac (First appearance)
- Koko (First appearance)
- Kandorians (First appearance)
- Professor Kimda (First appearance)
- Jonathan Kent (Flashback only)
- Martha Kent (Flashback only)
- Superbaby (Flashback only)
- Superboy (Flashback only)
- Jor-El (Mentioned only)
- Krypton (Flashback only)
- Hyper-Ray (First appearance)
- Ultra-Force Shield (First appearance)
- Brainiac's space saucer (First appearance)
- Kryptonian Rocket (Flashback only)
- The Columbus (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Super-Duel in Space"
Clark Kent and Lois Lane are guest passengers aboard the Columbus – Earth's first manned space vessel. Shortly after breaking the planet's atmosphere, they encounter a strange, alien flying saucer. The ship belongs to Brainiac, a self-styled Master of Science. Clark dons a pressure suit and pretends to space-walk back to Earth (supposedly out of fear). However, when he is outside of Lois' view, he changes into Superman and pushes the Columbus back towards Earth, out of harm's way.
Superman flies towards Brainiac's ship, but even his super-strength is not enough to penetrate the villain's Ultra-Force Shield. From inside the craft, Brainiac uses his Hyper-Ray to steal several Earth cities, including Paris, Rome and New York City. He shrinks them down to miniature size and places them inside of special bottles on his craft.
Superman comes up with a plan and flies back to Earth. He arrives in Metropolis, just as the city is hit by Brainiac's Hyper-Ray. Metropolis shrinks in size, and Brainiac places it amongst his collection. Now barely an inch-tall, Superman flies upward pushing the cork out of the top of Metropolis' bottle. Having eluded the Ultra-Force Shield, he is now safely inside his foe’s ship.
Superman flies around the laboratory analyzing Brainiac's collection of stolen cities. He learns that he plans on bringing them back to his homeworld, where he will then repopulate his lifeless planet.
Superman finds one bottle without its stopper and flies inside. Surprisingly, the city inside the bottle is Kandor – once the capital city of the dead planet, Krypton. As Kandor synthetic environment is powered by an artificial red sun, Superman loses all of his powers. Brainiac finds the bottle and replaces the stopper.
Inside the shrunken city, Superman meets a scientist named Kimda. Kimda provides Superman with a one-man rocket and a pet animal to help him escape from the city. As he blasts through the bottle's stopper, he learns that Brainiac has now placed himself in suspended animation for the long voyage home. Superman takes control of Brainiac's Hyper-Ray and restores all of Earth's cities back to their normal size and geographic location. He is then prepared to use the ray's final charge on Kandor, but Kimda exits the bottle and activates the Hyper-Ray on Superman. Superman returns to his normal size, and Kimda explains that he could not sacrifice Earth's greatest hero to remain shrunken for the rest of his life.
Superman gathers together the bottle city of Kandor and leaves Brainiac's ship. He returns to Earth, where he places the bottle inside of a special vault in his Fortress of Solitude.
Appearing in "The Traffic Cop of 2058, AD"
Synopsis for "The Traffic Cop of 2058, AD"
- Synopsis not yet written.
Appearing in "Safari from Space"
- Xov (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Safari from Space"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- "The Super-Duel in Space" was reprinted in Superman Annual #2, Superman #217, Superman: From the '30s to the '80s, Superman in the Fifties, Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 1, Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1, Superman: The Bottle City of Kandor, Superman vs. Brainiac and Superman: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- Superman appeared last in World's Finest (Volume 1) #95. He appears next in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #30.
- Brainiac's earliest chronological appearance takes place in Superboy (Volume 1) #106. He appears next in Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #17.
- Lois Lane appeared last in Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #3. She appears next in Superman (Volume 1) #123.
- This issue contains flashbacks to Superman's origin - first revealed in Action Comics #1.
- This issue establishes that the Pre-Crisis Colu is one-hundred light years from the planet, Earth-One.
- On the cover of this issue, Brainiac is shown wearing electrode implants across his head, however he does not wear them inside the main story.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 242 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 242
- Congo Bill
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Action Comics series index at the Grand Comic Book Database
- Action Comics series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Action Comics article at Wikipedia
- Superman article at Wikipedia