"The Shrinking Superman": Superman takes Lois Lane to the Fortress of Solitude to show her around his secret hideaway, showing her the many attractions, she is flattered mostly by the room he devoted to her. Leaving her behind to explore while he attends to other business,
Appearing in "The Shrinking Superman"
Synopsis for "The Shrinking Superman"
Superman takes Lois Lane to the Fortress of Solitude to show her around his secret hideaway, showing her the many attractions, she is flattered mostly by the room he devoted to her. Leaving her behind to explore while he attends to other business, Lois pays particular attention to the bottle city of Kandor. When she accidentally knocks it over, she inadvertently frees Zak-Kul, an evil criminal scientist. Zak-Kul uses his Illium-349 to enlarge himself, and then disguises himself as Superman so he can hopefully slip away unnoticed. However, Lois realizes he's an impostor when the real Superman contacts her on his communication device, and he quickly arrives to try and sort the situation out.
However, before Superman can learn that Zak-Kul blurted out his identity to Lois, he has caused Lois to suffer a blow to the head. When she revives she can't tell which Superman is which. When Lois quizzes the Supermen about some of his cases, the real Superman stumbles on the answer because he can't recall one crook from the other because he has caught so many. This leads Zak-Kul to convince Lois to shrink Superman down and place him in the city of Kandor, where he is rendered powerless.
Zak-Kul meanwhile has taken over Superman's life, while secretly committing crimes as well for his own personal gain. Becoming more and more bold, Zak-Kul decides to steal Superman's girl as well by asking Lois to marry him, a proposal she does not refuse. After their marriage, Zak-Kul realizes that Lois would impede on his criminal endeavors, and so tries to kill her by smashing the cliff-side road she is driving on. Plummeting to her death, Lois is saved at the last minute by Superman. Superman explains that while he was in Kandor he found a shrinking device that made him small enough to pass through the molecules of glass that surround the bottle city, and then used Zak-Kul's enlarging device to resume his normal size. He then goes after Zak-Kul, who thinks he can cleverly escape Superman by putting on a disguise, however he makes the mistake of disguising himself to look exactly like Clark Kent, and is easily capture, shrunk back down to size, and returned to Kandor for the police there to take him to justice.
Later as Clark Kent, he is asked by Lois if the real Superman will ever propose to her, just as she is tearing up the invalid marriage license.
Appearing in "The Interplanetary Scarecrow"
Synopsis for "The Interplanetary Scarecrow"
- Synopsis not yet written.
Appearing in "Secret of the Super Animals"
- Professor Peters (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Secret of the Super Animals"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- "The Shrinking Superman" was reprinted in Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Archives Vol. 1 and Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.
- Lois Lane appeared last in World's Finest #97. She appears next in Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #5.
- First appearance of Illium 349.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 245 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 245
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Action Comics series index at the Grand Comic Book Database
- Action Comics series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Action Comics article at Wikipedia
- Superman article at Wikipedia