- Like cousin Superman, I'll speed faster than light and propel myself across the time-barrier! I'll travel about a hundred years ahead, into the 21st century!
- -- Supergirl
Appearing in Superman: "The Bride of Bizarro!"
- Bizarro Lois Lane (First appearance)
Synopsis for Superman: "The Bride of Bizarro!"
Bizarro has created an "imperfect" Bizarro with Luthor's duplicator machine to trick Lois Lane into marrying him, while Superman tries to stop him, but the Man of Steel is stopped with a Green Kryptonite boulder. However, Lois, noticing the fake Superman's speech is just like Bizarro's, and she clues in on the situation. This leads to a battle between the two Bizarros, while Lois disposes of the Kryptonite that is keeping the real Superman at bay.
Bizarro decides to help by kicking the boulder into a mountain side, causing it to get smashed into dust. This dust is picked up in the wind and drawn toward New Bizarro, who is not immune to the Kryptonite and is killed, vaporizing to dust. However, the original Bizarro is still attempting to win Lois's heart, and he tries to woo her with a flower from another planet, but it proves dangerous and she gets Bizarro to pledge not to bother her again. Deciding to be undaunted, Bizarro decides to disguise himself as Clark Kent to be near Lois, however Superman foils this plot while trying to maintain his secret identity before Bizarro can accidentally expose it.
Confronting Lois anyway, Bizarro takes her back to the island hide-away that he made for them, and decides to try and prove that he is better than Superman by beating him in combat. The two fight amongst some derelict ships, and it proves to be an endless battle as the two are evenly matched. Lois suddenly comes up with an idea and uses the duplication device to create a Bizarro Lois. Upon meeting each other the Bizarro-Couple fall in love and decide to leave the Earth to make a world of their own. When Lois asks Superman when he will ask her to marry him, he tells her he may... someday.
Appearing in Congorilla: "The Abominable Snowman!"
- Abominable Snowman (Single appearance)
Synopsis for Congorilla: "The Abominable Snowman!"
Congo Bill is guiding an expedition to the Bukari Mountains. The expedition leader Sir John looks to reach the summit by nightfall since he believes tales of a monster dwelling on the peak and he is determined to be the first man to see it.
At night, Sir John notices Congo Bill's ring, brings up the legend of Kawolo's Magic Ring and asks Congo to rub the ring only for humoring him. Congo reluctantly agrees, but takes several sleeping pills beforehand so his human body falls asleep when the change occurs.
Congorilla climbs the mountain to check on his body and the expeditionaries. But the expedition is ambushed by bandits, and Congorilla has to rush back to the camp. Congorilla scares the bandits off. He's wondering how to drive them off unseen when he comes upon the abominable snowman. However it's nothing but a big, harmless bipedal beast. Congorilla tricks the snowman into helping him scare the bandits away without being spotted.
Appearing in Supergirl: "Supergirl Visits the 21st Century!"
- Jik (Single appearance)
- Superman (Mentioned only)
- Anti-Gravity Gun
- Changer Ray
- Green Kryptonite
- Solidified Helium Gas
- Sky Hook
- Venus Probe (Destroyed)
Synopsis for Supergirl: "Supergirl Visits the 21st Century!"
While reading a newspaper about a Venus probe, Linda Lee learns of its failure to meet its mark. She is then sent a secret message from Superman encouraging her to keep on practicing her super-powers, and encourages her to use them to travel into the future and visit the 21st Century. That night, Linda changes into Supergirl and uses her powers to breach the time barrier and travel to the 21st Century.
There she happens upon an orphanage on an asteroid that in trouble when a satellite breaks through its protective dome. Supergirl secretly seals the dome, however when she is about to deal with the satellite, a young orphan named Tommy uses an anti-gravity ray on it causing it to collide with her and explode. This causes her to land near a chunk of Kryptonite. Too weak to move the Kryptonite away, she is unwittingly saved by Tommy when showing off his "Changer Ray" to his friend Jik, turns the chunk into ice.
Supergirl decides to secretly follow the two orphans to make sure they don't get into anymore trouble. However, when they do find some, such as when they are attacked by an alien beast, and caught in quicksand, they manage to free themselves with different futuristic devices before Supergirl can secretly come to their rescue. When the boys return to the orphanage, Supergirl uses her x-ray vision to learn that Tommy is to be adopted that day. Deciding to check on his arriving adoptive family, Supergirl finds that their ship is in trouble and smashes all the meteors that bar their path ensuring that they make it to the space orphanage. With Tommy adopted, Supergirl returns to her own time and resumes her identity as Linda Lee. Transcribing the event in her diary, she realizes that young Tommy will soon grow up to be the 21st Century hero Tommy Tomorrow.
- "The Bride of Bizarro!" continues from Action Comics #254.
- "The Bride of Bizarro!" is reprinted in 80-Page Giant #6 and Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.
- "Supergirl Visits the 21st Century!" is reprinted in Superman Family #179, The Supergirl Archives Vol. 1, Showcase Presents: Supergirl Vol. 1, Supergirl: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 1 and Supergirl: The Silver Age Vol 1.
- Earliest chronological appearance of Tommy Tomorrow.
- The Bizarros go on to colonize their own homeworld, Htrae in Action Comics Vol 1 263.
- Tommy Tomorrow is actually the Earth-One counterpart to the Earth-AD character, Kamandi.
- This issue includes a "Jerry the Jitterbug" humor strip by Henry Boltinoff.
- This issue's "Metropolis Mailbag" publishes the first reactions to the then-new Supergirl-character.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 255 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 255
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)