"Muto -- Monarch of Menace!": Muto returns with a plan to kill his greatest enemy, the Superman of 2966. Muto raids a planet containing the greatest weapons in the universe. Superman falls for a decoy which lures him away, allowing Muto to escape. Superman tracks Muto and
- I'll admit that was my first reaction when I learned you destroyed Krypton! But that charm of yours got a grip on me... And even I'm not invulnerable to cupid's arrows!
- -- Supergirl
Appearing in "Muto -- Monarch of Menace!"
- Jay L-3388/Jay Senohl (future descendant of Jimmy Olsen)
- Lyra 3916 (future descendant of Lois Lane)
- Muto (First appearance)
- Yann (Muto's lieutenant) (Single appearance)
- Thargo (Muto's lieutenant) (Single appearance)
- Von-Don (Muto's lieutenant) (First appearance)
- Three Android Children
- Lois Lane(Cameo)
- Lex Luthor(Cameo)
- Superman IV (Flashback only)
- Superman V (in a film)
- Superman VII (Flashback only)
- Superman VII's son (Flashback only)
- Vyldan (in a film)
- Superman XX's father (Flashback only)
- Metropolis of 2496/2966
- Weapons World
- Computer Newspaper Editor (Computer PW-5598)
- Micro-Reel Player
- Green Kryptonite
- Deadly Space Fungus
- Suspended Mono-Rail Train
- Space transport (on which Muto was born) (Flashback only)
- Various futuristic vehicles
- Muto's escape rocket
Synopsis for "Muto -- Monarch of Menace!"
Muto returns with a plan to kill his greatest enemy, the Superman of 2966. Muto raids a planet containing the greatest weapons in the universe. Superman falls for a decoy which lures him away, allowing Muto to escape. Superman tracks Muto and spots him starting a flood. The rushing water endangers three children. Superman tries to rescue the children, only to discover that they are androids. The flood waters engulf Superman exposing him to his only weakness, atomic fallout in the sea water.
Appearing in "The Villain Who Married Supergirl!"
- Raspor (Single appearance)
- Viperie (Single appearance)
- Various Circus performers & employees (The Great Gazarko named)
- Outer Space
- Unnamed world in a different solar system
- Circus Cannons
- Alien Historical Database
- Spacecraft and trailer
Synopsis for "The Villain Who Married Supergirl!"
Raspor and Viperie, two desperadoes from outer space, make Supergirl's acquaintance. Raspor wishes to marry Supergirl, despite Viperie's protests. When her voice becomes too strident, he exiles her to the Nightmare Dimension. Raspor also boasts that he placed an N-Bomb in the core of Krypton, which destroyed it. Supergirl, in vengeance, pretends to be in love with him and arranges a mock "wedding", but leaves him stranded on a planet on which she claims to have placed an N-Bomb with an indefinite timer. Later, she admits to herself she was lying about the bomb, leaving him exiled on the planet in fear of impending death. And, to himself, Raspor admits he was lying about planting a bomb in Krypton.
- "Muto -- Monarch of Menace!" was reprinted in Superman #247 and Superman: Past and Future.
- "The Villain Who Married Supergirl" was reprinted in Superman Family #173.
- The Superman of the future storyline would later be updated as one of the four realities that the post-Crisis Superman was cast into during the Dominus Effect storyline, with Superman (vol. 2) #136 to 138 featuring the updated storyline.
- Later reprintings of this story place the time as 2496 rather than 2966, presumedly to avoid conflicts with the Legion of Super-Heroes who exist in 2966.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 338 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series