"A Matter of Light and Death": Due to the recent machinations of Brainiac, Superman is out of control with power. The super-charged Kryptonian is blasting recklessly through space and plummets through the hull of the Justice League Satellite. The only League member present is Hawkman, wh
- In all my years as a Justice League member, I have never seen Superman in such a potentially dangerous state!
- -- Hawkman
Appearing in "A Matter of Light and Death"
- Jerry the Robot(Single appearance)
- Theodore J. Henkin (Single appearance)
- Ultra-Force Shield
Synopsis for "A Matter of Light and Death"
Due to the recent machinations of Brainiac, Superman is out of control with power. The super-charged Kryptonian is blasting recklessly through space and plummets through the hull of the Justice League Satellite. The only League member present is Hawkman, who narrowly avoids Superman's rampage. He manages to use Superman's own momentum against him and propels his body into a cache of experimental green Kryptonite. The green K absorbs some of the hero's excess energy and his body plummets back down to Earth, landing in the forests of northern Oregon.
A blind scientist named Theodore J. Henkin and his robot companion, Jerry, recover the Man of Steel and bring him back to their cabin. Superman revives and expresses his gratitude to the retired scientist. To show his appreciation, he cures the professor's blindness by lazing off the cataracts of his eyes with his heat vision. He then flies off to track down Brainiac.
Superman finds Brainiac's starship and the evil Coluan ensnares him in a tractor beam. Superman flies deeper into outer space, dragging the ship behind him at great speeds. He sails across the Milky Way until he comes upon a yellow star in the throes of a supernova. The excessive solar radiation super-charges Superman once again and provides him with enough power to break free of the tractor beam. He then punches his way through Brainiac's force fields and knocks the villain out with a light tap. With Brainiac unconscious, Superman returns to Earth.
- This issue makes reference to events that took place in Action Comics #489.
- Jimmy Olsen appears in a cameo flashback only.
- No trivia.
- Superman image gallery
- Superman appearances list
- Superman quotes page
- Superman Rogues Gallery
- Brainiac image gallery
- Brainiac appearances list
- Brainiac quotes page
- Hawkman image gallery
- Hawkman appearances list
- Hawkman quotes page
- Jimmy Olsen image gallery
- Jimmy Olsen appearances list
- Jimmy Olsen quotes page
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 491 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Hawkman (Volume 1)
- Justice League of America (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Brainiac article at Wikipedia
- Action Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database