- Dear God in Heaven... if he's lying, someone's learned that Clark is Superman. And if he's telling the truth... I've lost Clark... all over again.
- -- Lois Lane
Appearing in "Born Again"
- Bibbo Bibbowski
- Jimmy Olsen (Flashback only)
- Lois Lane
- Superman (Deceased) (Flashback and main story)
- Justice League (Flashback only)
- Daryl Wilbur (Single appearance)
- Marty (Single appearance)
- Ron (Single appearance)
- Steve (Single appearance)
- Ted Gruber (Single appearance)
- Ellsworth Mountains
Synopsis for "Born Again"
At the Fortress of Solitude, a team of service robots labor to reconstitute their deceased master, Superman. A consciousness emerges, but it is a being without true physicality. All at once, it experiences a flash of memories - Superman's final moments in battle against Doomsday. The energy being flies off, desperate to rejoin its corporeal self. It finds Superman's body within its tomb. Moments later, "The Last Son of Krypton" emerges. Donning Superman's cape, he flies off back towards the Fortress of Solitude. At the fortress, the Last Son enters a solar-powered regeneration chamber. He emerges from the machine with renewed vitality and a clear sense of purpose. He now has the ability to project energy blasts from his hands, but he is also sensitive to ultraviolet light and must wear a protective visor. Although he only has a few memories of life as Superman, he commits himself to serving the cause of justice.
The Last Son flies back to Metropolis and begins responding to various crimes. Unlike the Superman of old however, the Last Son employs more drastic measures towards fighting injustice. He saves the life of a woman from a mugger by smashing the man through a wall, killing him. He chases another criminal and hospitalizes him, leaving third degree burns across his body. Reports go out across the city, and people begin to speculate -- Has Superman returned?
Later, Lex Luthor discovers that Superman's body is missing. He is furious at his technicians, whom he had instructed to monitor Superman's tomb at all times. Supergirl bursts into his office, angry that he withheld news of Superman's possible return from her. Lex placates Supergirl and tells her that he didn't want to get her hopes up until rumors of Superman's return can be confirmed.
Still later, Lois Lane manages a chance encounter with the Last Son. Even though he looks like Superman and shares some of his memories, his personality is completely different. Lois fears that even if Superman has truly returned, she has still lost him.
- This issue takes place between Adventures of Superman #500 and Superman: Man of Steel #22.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman omnibus, the The Return of Superman trade paperback, and the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.
- This issue was shipped as both a direct market edition and a standard newstand edition. The direct market edition includes a die-cut cover enhancement.
- This issue is triangle #12.
- The Ellsworth Mountains in Antarctica are likely named after long-time DC Comics editor Whitney Ellsworth.
- The Last Son of Krypton says that he possesses "powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men", a line used in the introduction sequence for the Adventures Of Superman television show.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 687 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Supermanica Homepage
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
The Death and Return of Superman