- Soon I shall at long last have my revenge upon the Kryptonian. From what I have learned, his love for this planet -- this Earth -- was even greater than that for his native Krypton. Poor little world. Your doom was sealed the day that Superman refused my imperial order. I shall grind your champion's bones beneath my heel -- and claim the Earth as my prize!
- -- Mongul
Appearing in "Who is the Hero True?"
- Mongul (Behind the scenes)
Synopsis for "Who is the Hero True?"
As Superboy and Supergirl come to the rescue of people and vehicles on the just-destroyed Hobsneck Bridge, the Regeneration Matrix inside the Fortress of Solitude overloads and breaks open to reveal a figure in Kryptonian garb resembling Superman. He is taken to a bank of monitors where he sees the four Supermen in action and decides that he must get to Metropolis as soon as possible. Lex Luthor II snarls in anger as he realizes that Superboy had signed on with a different promoter, Rex Leech. A just-recovered Jonathan Kent is itching to reveal to the world that the four Supermen aren't the real Superman. The Last Son of Krypton confronts the Man of Steel in a destructive brawl that Lois Lane bravely intercedes, telling them that they are dishonoring the symbol they're carrying. As a process server tries to get the two Supermen to cease and desist using the Superman name as it has been trademarked by Rex Leech, the Last Son of Krypton burns his papers and sends him running. The Man of Steel carries the Last Son of Krypton away in order to reason with him, but the Kryptonian only brings the fight to another city: Coast City.
- This issue takes place between Adventures of Superman #502 and Superman: Man of Steel #24.
- This issue is reprinted in the The Return of Superman trade paperback and the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 689 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Supermanica Homepage
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes
The Death and Return of Superman