"Up, Up, and Away!, Part VI of VIII: This Looks Like a Job...": In the midst of battle, Superman recalls several poignant events that have taken place in his life recently. The first was his epic battle with the Earth-Two Superman to stop the mad Superboy-Prime – a struggl
- All right, Luthor -- let's end this!
- -- Superman
Appearing in "Up, Up, and Away!, Part VI of VIII: This Looks Like a Job..."
- Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) (Flashback only)
- Doctor Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross) (Flashback only)
- Jimmy Olsen
- Lois Lane
- Mister Terrific (Michael Holt) (Flashback only)
- Perry White
- Ray (Ray Terrill) (Flashback only)
- Superman (Earth-Two) (Flashback only)
- Lex Luthor
- Silver Banshee
- Superboy-Prime (Flashback only)
- Bratten (Single appearance) (a Daily Planet staff member)
- Connie (Single appearance) (a Daily Planet staff member)
- Schuman (Single appearance)
- Mogo (Flashback only)
- Rao (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Up, Up, and Away!, Part VI of VIII: This Looks Like a Job..."
In the midst of battle, Superman recalls several poignant events that have taken place in his life recently. The first was his epic battle with the Earth-Two Superman to stop the mad Superboy-Prime – a struggle that caused the Man of Steel to lose his powers. The second is the memory of Earth's sharpest minds analyzing him, and telling him that his powers may never return. He wanted nothing more to go home, but that was then. Now, not only have Superman's powers returned however, but his mental acuity is several times sharper than it was previously.
Shaking away the memories, he stands before several super-villains employed by Intergang to assassinate Clark Kent. Bloodshot's bullets bounce harmlessly off his chest, as he grabs two of Riot's doppelgangers by the throat. He manipulates Bloodshot into shooting Silver Banshee with an energy weapon – the impact of which incapacitates the injured Livewire as well. Hellgrammite is still down for the count, and he finishes off the remaining Riot doppelgangers by creating a vortex, which temporarily deprives them of oxygen.
Later, Superman switches to his Clark Kent identity and goes to the Daily Planet. Perry is excited with the news of Superman's return and wants every able-bodied reporter (including Kent) to cover the story. Clark's hyper-senses pick up a disturbing sensation and he rushes out of the building.
As Superman, he floats miles above the city of Metropolis, attempting to analyze the millions of new sensations that are pounding into his brain. He suddenly perceives great geothermic upheaval, and suddenly dozens of crystal spires begin growing out of the ground. He immediately recognizes their composition, and knows that they originated from elemental Sunstone.
Lex Luthor gloats over his success. Toyman is confused, and does not understand what is happening. He thought that Luthor was trying to summon a space ship. Luthor explains that Sunstone is self-replicating and infinitely programmable. The Kryptonian ship that he had discovered has spawned the massive crystal obelisks which are now destroying Metropolis.
Superman rushes about the city saving as many people as he can, but the Sunstone structure continues to grow. He flies out over the bay where he finds Lex Luthor sitting in General Zod's original warship waiting for him. Superman charges towards the ship ready to stop Luthor once and for all.
- This book was first published on May 31, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Up, Up, and Away trade paperback.
- This issue is part of the One Year Later event, which follows the Infinite Crisis limited series, and the 52 maxi-series.
- This issue contains flashbacks to events that took place in Infinite Crisis #7.
- The major plot points from this issue are similar to events that take place in the 2006 movie, Superman Returns.
- Superman image gallery
- Superman appearances list
- Superman quotes page
- Superman Rogues Gallery
- General Zod
- Infinite Crisis
- Jimmy Olsen image gallery
- Jimmy Olsen appearances list
- Jimmy Olsen quotes page
- Lex Luthor image gallery
- Lex Luthor appearances list
- Lex Luthor quotes page
- Lois Lane image gallery
- Lois Lane appearances list
- Lois Lane quotes page
- Metropolis Special Crimes Unit
- Perry White image gallery
- Perry White appearances list
- Perry White quotes page
- Up, Up, and Away
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Action Comics Vol 1 839 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Action Comics series
- Images from Action Comics Vol 1 839
Links and References
- Action Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Superman article at Supermanica
- Superman article at Toonopedia
- Jimmy Olsen article at Wikipedia
- Lois Lane article at Wikipedia
- Lex Luthor article at Wikipedia
- Lex Luthor article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Lex Luthor article at Supermanica
- Toyman article at Wikipedia
|Up, Up, and Away!|
|Part I: Superman #650||Part II: Action Comics #837||Part III: Superman #651||Part IV: Action Comics #838|
|Part V: Superman #652||Part VI: Action Comics #839||Part VII: Superman #653||Part VIII: Action Comics #840|