"The Voice That Doomed... the Spectre": Certain day in New York City, a bank is robbed by a terrorist group called The Symbiosis Liberation Army and Gwendolyn Sterling is taken as a hostage. By the time Detective Jim Corrigan arrives at the place, the crooks ha
- Mars and Mercury in conjunction... Owwww!
- -- Green Arrow, as he is being attacked by the planets Mars and Mercury
Appearing in "The Voice That Doomed... the Spectre"
- Gwendolyn Sterling
- The Symbiosis Liberation Army (First appearance)
- Carter (Only appearance; dies)
- Nick Shawn (Only appearance; dies)
- Ducky McLaren (First appearance)
- Captain Stanley
- Susan (Single appearance)
- The Voice
- Broome Street
- Broome Street
Synopsis for "The Voice That Doomed... the Spectre"
Certain day in New York City, a bank is robbed by a terrorist group called The Symbiosis Liberation Army and Gwendolyn Sterling is taken as a hostage. By the time Detective Jim Corrigan arrives at the place, the crooks have made their getaway and Corrigan decides to follow them to their hideout as The Spectre.
Upon arriving at the place, Spectre manifests himself in front of the thugs before turning their flag with snakes as their symbol into real snakes that strangle and kill the criminals. Switching back to Jim Corrigan, he rescues Gwen and takes her back to her home. During the ride, Gwen explains how much she loves him and how she would like to be together with Jim, despite his spectral condition. Unfortunately, Jim can't accept her marriage proposal and he tells her that it would be better to never talk or see each other again, as it would only make matters worse between them.
That night, Jim ponders his existence and demands from the higher power to be ridden of the curse of The Spectre. The Voice listens to Jim's plea and the powers of the Spectre are removed overnight. The next day, Jim Corrigan is summoned to deal with crooks member of the Ducky McLaren gang. Unaware that he had lost his supernatural powers, Corrigan confronts the criminals recklessly and he gets shot in the arm, but he manages to hit one of the crooks with a bullet, killing him.
Corrigan is soon taken to a hospital, where he recovers from a serious injury and he comes to the realization that he is human once again. Having regained his humanity, Jim goes to Gwen's home, where he tells her about his change and they agree to get married as soon as possible.
Elsewhere, Ducky McLaren learns about Jim Corrigan's engagement and he decides to eliminate the "meddling detective" for having killed one of his top mobsters.
Appearing in "Father Time's Inn!"
Supporting Characters: Villains:
- Father Time (Single appearance)
- Mercury (Single appearance)
- Mars (Single appearance)
- First-Quarter Moon (Single appearance)
- Saturn (Single appearance)
- Saggitarius (Single appearance)
- Land of Magic
Synopsis for "Father Time's Inn!"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- "The Voice That Doomed... the Spectre" is reprinted in Wrath of the Spectre #3 and Showcase Presents: The Spectre Vol. 1.
- On the Spectre story, there is a place called "Broome Street"; a clear reference to comic book writer John Broome.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Adventure Comics Vol 1 439 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Adventure Comics series
Links and References