"Soul of the City!": Superman stands atop a building, grumbling to himself about Lex Luthor's triumph in the presidential elections. Frowning even deeper, Superman flies across Metropolis and walks into Luthor's campaign headquarters. Mounting the stage, he puts out his hands and congratulates L
- Go to hell? My dear... I am Hell.
- -- Lord Satanus
Appearing in "Soul of the City!"
Synopsis for "Soul of the City!"
Superman stands atop a building, grumbling to himself about Lex Luthor's triumph in the presidential elections. Frowning even deeper, Superman flies across Metropolis and walks into Luthor's campaign headquarters. Mounting the stage, he puts out his hands and congratulates Luthor. The day went downhill from there.
Satanus tells the gathered people about Metropolis' soul, the true essence of the city. The three metahumans jump up from the table and attempt to stop Satanus. He summons a demon, Mudge, to his side and two of the three are quickly dealt with. Thorn manages to get a knife to Satanus' throat, but he merely flicks a finger and Rose begins to convulse. Thorn releases him. He then offers the three split personas healing, but only for a price.
Lois Lane sits behind her sister in her breathing class. Finishing up, the two walk outside. Lucy suddenly stops in her tracks, and tells Lois that her water just broke. Lois, panicking, flags a taxi down and hurls her sister inside of it. The two siblings take off for the hospital.
Satanus offers the three humans assembled to rid them of their counterparts. Rose and Kitty refuse, but the boy Cary listens to the demon's offer. The two women vanish, as Prankster wheels Cary out of the room, with the Adversary in tow.
Clark rushes into the hospital only to be informed by Lois that her sister is at home. She has at least another day or two before she needs to be there. Suddenly, Clark spots a white owl, one that he has seen before. He bolts from the room.
On the roof, Superman finds a woman clad in white furs that identifies herself as the Night Eagle. She points to the sky, and Superman sees dozens of Adversaries moving in on the building. Evidently, Cary has succumbed to Satanus' offer. Superman begins to fight off the monsters, but there are simply too many of them. Realizing he can't win with physical force, he lets himself fall into Torquasm Rao. In this focused state, he sees the creatures as balls of energy that begin to feed on the citizens of his city. Night Eagle calls the others to his side. Elsewhere, Kitty and Rose undergo their transformations, becoming Thorn and Rampage.
Flying through the city, Superman sees a building start to turn black. It slowly forms into Satanus, flanked by Mudge. He claims ownership of the city. Superman lands on a roof only to be joined by Thorn and Rampage. Together, the three stand against Satanus.
- This book was first published on November 15, 2000.
- Double-sized issue.
- The events from this issue directly follows Superman: Lex 2000 #1.
- Superman navigation number is mistakenly listed as 2001/52, correct number is 2001/3.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: President Lex collection.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Adventures of Superman Vol 1 586 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Adventures of Superman series
- Images from Adventures of Superman Vol 1 586
Links and References
- Adventures of Superman at Wikipedia
- Adventures of Superman series index at DCU Guide
- Adventures of Superman series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Adventures of Superman series index at the Grand Comics Database Project