- My employer has fed me enough names of people close to you. How long do you think it will be before I figure out who you really are?
- -- Ruin
Appearing in "Rack and Ruin (Part II of II)"
- Mister Mxyztplk (died in the previous issue)
- Clark Peter Ross (Final appearance)
- Wonder Woman (Diana) (mentioned only)
Synopsis for "Rack and Ruin (Part II of II)"
Ruin explains that his trap will force Superman to watch as all of his friends are killed, while blasting him with red sunlight to weaken him. Ruin attempts to teleport away with Superman, but he is tossed aside as Superman races to beat Lt. Leocadio's bullet. He is too late to stop the bullet, but arrives in time to see that the Lieutenant has fired at the laser targeting Lana, and not Pete. She states that she was aware that the situation was a set-up, but the real Ruin soon appears, attacking Superman and sending a Kryptonian-tech device to track and kill the escaping Ross family. Lt. Leocadio volunteers to protect them while Superman battles with his enemy.
Ruin admits that he doesn't yet know Superman's true identity, and that his employer had been feeding him information regarding Superman's loved ones. The Ross family attempts an escape, but they are cornered, and Lt. Leocadio, feeling remorse for her violence toward Pete in the recent past, sacrifices herself so that they can escape. Fortunately, she survives, and Ruin's surprise at her actions gives superman the opportunity to regain his powers and take down Ruin.
In a last-ditch effort, Ruin explains that his suit is set to self-destruct unless he is killed - requiring that Superman either kill him or allow him to be killed by the suit. Superman refuses to stand for either option, and quickly removes the suit, and flies it into the atmosphere where it can explode safely.
With Ruin defeated, Superman and the Ross family discuss their shared knowledge of his secret identity as Clark Kent, and Superman promises to clear Pete's name.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Ruin Revealead trade paperback.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Adventures of Superman Vol 1 647 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Adventures of Superman series
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman Wiki
- Superman Homepage
- Superman at TV Tropes