Africa is the world's second-largest and second most-populous continent, after Asia. At about 30.2 million km² (11.7 million sq mi) including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of the Earth's total surface area and 20.4% of the total land area. With a billion people (as of 2009) in 61 territories, it accounts for about 14.8% of the World's human population. The continent is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, the Suez Canal and the Red Sea to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. Not counting the disputed territory of Western Sahara, there are 53 countries, including Madagascar and various island groups, associated with the continent.
Africa, particularly central eastern Africa, is widely regarded within the scientific community to be the origin of humans and the Hominidae tree (great apes), as evidenced by the discovery of the earliest hominids and their ancestors, as well as later ones that have been dated to around seven million years ago – including Sahelanthropus tchadensis, Australopithecus africanus, A. afarensis, Homo erectus, H. habilis and H. ergaster – with the earliest Homo sapiens (human) found in Ethiopia being dated to ca. 200,000 years ago.
Points of Interest
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Republic of the Congo
- South Africa
- Gorilla City
- This was the location of the Upper Lamumba Research Center. Here, scientists Mark and Marie Logan, along with their colleague Doctor Samuel Register studied the effects of the Sakutia virus. It was here that the Logans' son Garfield contracted the virus that would eventually give way to his anthromorphic shape-changing abilities. 
- See also: [[Appearances of Lamumba]]
- Medikwe Game Preserve
- Thomas Blake, the Catman, operated out of this African preserve until the mercenary known as Deathstroke arrived and slaughtered a pride of lions.
- See also: [[Appearances of Medikwe Game Preserve]]
- Valley of the Daals
- This is the location of a virtually unknown tribe of green-skinned barbarian women. J'onn J'onzz took on female form in order to negotiate with them, earning the nickname "Joan J'onzz."
- See also: [[Appearances of the Valley of the Daals]]
- B'Wana Beast
- Congo Bill
- Freedom Beast (Dominic Mndawe)
- Gorilla Grodd
- Vixen (Mari McCabe)
- Batwing (David Zavimbi)