- I am... Arion the Immortal! Lord of Atlantis, Sorcerer Supreme, Intercessor of Darkworld. From the dawn of time have I tread this earthly coil, standing before the raging evil of Garn Daanuth, Chaon and the Lords of the Seven Hells! Although I am loathe to interfere in mortal affairs, I could no longer stay my hand.
- -- Arion
- -- Arion
Arion is a powerful Homo Magi from the nobility of ancient Atlantis. Ari'ahn and Garn Daanuth are the twin sons of Calculha and Dark Majistra, two very powerful Atlantean sorcerers. While Calculha raised Ari'ahn to be a follower of light and the Lords of Order, Majistra raised Garn to be an acolyte of the Lords of Chaos. His companions include an Atlantean guardsman, Wyynde, and Lady Chian, his lover and the captain of King D'Tilluh's royal guard. Among his enemies are his brother Garn Daanuth, a formidable practitioner of the dark arts and Chaon, the puissant god of evil and chaos.
He appeared later in the Crisis on Infinite Earths and was made part of Power Girl's history. He eventually turned up in the present day where his body was taken over by Mordru and his spirit imprisoned in Gemworld. His spirit was finally released and allowed to go to the afterlife by Power Girl and Hawkgirl, (along with a recently awakened Dove II), in order to weaken Mordru. Before his soul departed, Arion revealed to Power Girl that she was not his granddaughter and thus not an Atlantean. He cryptically stated to Power Girl that he had promised her mother to protect her, that she was proud of her, and that she would soon need her aid.
Arion recently reappeared in Infinite Crisis as one of the mystics gathered in Atlantis to keep the Spectre at bay, and later in the Day of Vengeance as one of many magical beings summoned to help rebuild the shattered Rock of Eternity. No explanation was given for Arion's involvement at the time, but it was revealed that this Arion was in fact a pretender, a native of Akron named Bill Knightley. Knightley had decided to trade on Arion's name and reputation to build himself up in the mystical community.
The true Arion's involvement begins in the year 1659, when Arion is awakened from a night of debauchery by visions of a cataclysmic future centered around the presence of Superman. Cut off from his natural magicks, Arion employed certain artifacts to propel himself forward to Superman's present. Arriving in Metropolis, Arion subjected Superman and his friends at the Daily Planet to a vision of a possible future where Superman and other alien heroes' involvement in humanity caused people to become dependent on them and ultimately produced an apocalypse. Arion hoped to force Superman to retire and prevent the predictions from coming true.
Superman was given two weeks in which to decide how he'd deal with Arion's request, during which Arion illustrated his point by magically steering a "field trip" of adolescent New Gods, chaperoned by Lightray and Fastbak, to come crashing into Metropolis and go wild with their divine powers, causing untold havoc and general interference with the populace. Superman defused the situation with Lightray's help and deduced Arion's involvement. At roughly the same time, Arion kidnapped Bill Knightley from outside the Oblivion Bar, interrogated him, and nearly killed him. The only thing to save Knightley was his knowledge of the recently begun "Tenth Age of Magic," a tumultuous change in the world's mystical equilibrium. Knightley claimed to be studying the shift and Arion decided he might have some value alive.
At the end of the two weeks, Arion and Superman met again; the Kryptonian hero chose to remain active as part of Earth's defense and deeply involved with humanity. Arion's vicious response was to cast a powerful mind manipulation spell, with the intent of using Superman as a weapon to remove the threat of other alien heroes, like Superman's ally, the Martian Manhunter. The spell was resisted, however, due to mental resistance from Superman. Tracking Arion to his base in Atlantis, Superman confronted him once more, protected from Arion's magics by a mystical shield given to him by the Phantom Stranger- who told him that, while Arion's vision of the future could come to pass, the loss of life and experience that humanity would suffer as a result meant that Superman had to try and find another way-, disarming Arion of his magic rings. Now defenceless, Arion retreated back to his time, where he began to plan his next move against Superman.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Sorcery: Arion can tap into the elemental, mystic energies of the Earth and weave them for a variety of supernatural effects including levitation, energy expulsion, illusion casting and weather control. The full extent of Arion's ability (at the height of his power) is virtually limitless. His vast magical abilities are drawn from the extra-dimensional Darkworld.
Immortality: Arion is also immortal, and is currently active in the modern world.
On occasion, Arion has been known to brandish a sword
- Following the events of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the parallel world known as Earth-Two was rendered apocryphal. This left the character of Power Girl displaced into the modern continuity, but her Post-Crisis origin languished in a vacuum for over a year. Secret Origins (Volume 2) #11 revealed that Power Girl was actually born many millennia ago, as the granddaughter of an aging Lord Arion. Although this revised origin was maintained for nearly twenty years, the Infinite Crisis limited series, as well as the first story arc from JSA Classified reverted Power Girl's history to her original Pre-Crisis origins. To date, she is no longer considered a descendant of Lord Arion.
- Arion was a respected member of the Atlantean community, circa 45,000 BC.
- Appearances of Ahri'ahn (New Earth)
- Images featuring Ahri'ahn (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ahri'ahn (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ahri'ahn (New Earth)
- Ahri'ahn (New Earth) at Wikipedia.org
- Arion biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: