Alan Welles was a good friend of a previous Vigilante, Adrian Chase, who secretly suffered a nervous breakdown. After Chase's retirement, Welles secretly adopted the Vigilante identity. His mental instability led him to gun down not only criminals, but also police officers and innocents. As Chase felt responsible for this new threat to New York, he undertook a lengthy investigation to find and stop this new Vigilante. Eventually, Chase discovered that Welles was acting as the Vigilante and was forced to kill him.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Although Alan Welles was introduced in Vigilante #7, it wasn't until issue #20 that he assumed the identity of the Vigilante.
- 19 Appearances of Alan Welles (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Alan Welles (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Alan Welles (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alan Welles (New Earth)