- Our story hasn't been written yet, Kal-El. And every villain is only as great as his hero. But, you see, that all relies on you saving us from the coming Apokolips.
- -- Lex Luthor src
- -- Lex Luthor src
Lex Luthor was the son of Lionel Luthor, a millionaire businessman, and heir to his father's fortune, Named after Alexander the Great (Lionel believed himself to be the business world version of Philip II of Macedon), Luthor was mutated and lost all of his hair during the meteor shower that brought Kal-El to Earth. Years later, Luthor would become best friend of Clark Kent: though Luthor lost control of his Porsche and hit Kent, the latter later saved his life and the two bonded from the incident.
For several years, young Luthor had noble goals, especially with regard to how he wished to be seen by the people of Smallville, Lex later began to head down a darker path. Eventually, Luthor's relationship with Kent came to an end, and his true machinations became apparent when he had Kent, his parents, and Lana Lang taken hostage in an effort to prove that Kent was hiding secret abilities. Through deception and lies, Lex managed to alienate both Kent and Lionel Luthor, steal Lana Lang away from Clark, and become possessed by the consciousness of General Zod. Luthor continues to progress toward his ultimate destiny as Superman's arch-nemesis. Most recently in an attempt to gain information about the mysterious traveler Lex killed his father, he also engineered the final break up of Lana Lang and Clark Kent. Though Lex was seemingly killed when Oliver Queen planted bombs under the truck he was in, Dr. Fate recently mentioned that Lex still lives and will one day become Clark Kent's greatest ever nemesis.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
None, although Lex appears to have a remarkable constitution. As a child he suffered from asthma and required an Albuterol inhaler. Following the first meteor shower, Lex no longer required such medication. There have also been a number of instances where Lex should have been badly injured or even killed, yet remarkably managed to find himself fully healed within a short period of time. Whether Lex's quick-healing abilities is a natural phenomenon, or a side-effect of exposure to the meteor rocks is unknown.
During the time that Lex was possessed by General Zod, he developed the powers common to all Kryptonians living in a yellow sun environment including, flight, super-speed, invulnerability, enhanced senses and super-strength.
- Business Management: Lex Luthor is a master strategist and is expertly proficient in all fields relating to business management. Lex is more than willing to result to cutthroat and even illegal means to satisfy his objectives, including bribery, blackmail and extortion.
- Charisma: Lex spent a long time developing a "silver-tongue", mostly to earn the trust and respect of those around him. The Luthor name has earned an unsavory reputation in the town of Smallville, and Lex has devoted a lot of energy towards reconciling relationships thrown into disarray due to the actions of his father. In later years, Lex's demeanor darkened, and he spent less time trying to earn the trust of those around him.
- Fencing: Lex is quite proficient in the art of fencing, though he is by no means an expert. He has trained with a professional and often sparred against his own father, who has proven himself to be more skillful with a fencing blade than his son.
Lex Luthor possesses the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engages in moderate regular exercise. Although his business details keeps him busy most of the time, Lex always takes time out for physical exercise, notably fencing. When he was stranded on a desert island, Lex was forced to fend for himself, and his physical condition improved as a result. During the time that he was possessed by General Zod, Lex's strength reached superhuman levels.
Glass jaw: A sharp impact or punch to the chin will easily render Lex Luthor unconscious. This characteristic has proven valuable to Clark Kent who often finds himself in a situation where he must display his super-powers within close proximity to Lex.
Lex is usually chauffeured in a limousine, but has been known to drive his own vehicles, specifically his 2004 Porche 911 - the vehicle he was in when he first encountered Clark Kent.
Lex occasionally carries a concealable handgun for emergency situations. Although he doesn't realize its true properties, Lex also comes into possession of Kryptonite from time to time.
- Actor Michael Rosenbaum plays the role of Lex Luthor on the WB/CW television series, Smallville.
- Though his first run for public office failed, several episodes have hinted tha Lex will become the president like his comic book counterpart. One episode showed a vision of Lex's future and showed him as the president commiting attrocities, whilst another episode set in an alternate reality where clark kent had never arrived on earth saw president Luthor aided by Brainiac wipe out most of humanity.
- Smallville is not the only DC media project that Michael Rosenbaum has been involved in. He also provided the voice of the Flash and Deadshot in the animated series Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. In one episode of Unlimited, the Flash swapped minds with Lex Luthor, allowing Rosenbaum to voice an animated version of Lex Luthor as well as the one he usually plays on Smallville. Rosenbaum also provided his voice to the Ghoul in Batman Beyond, and Trapper from Static Shock.
- Lex Luthor once ran against Jonathan Kent for the Kansas State senate. Kent won the election, but died soon after, and his position was awarded to his widow Martha.
- While this incarnation of Lex Luthor does have a sister like his comic counterpart, He also has had 3 brothers, Lucas his half brother (whose current whereabouts are unknown), Julian who was smothered to death by his mother, and Julian's clone Grant Gabriel, who Lex eventually had killed. He actually created more than one clone of Julian but these two were destroyed for being failures.
- 182 Appearances of Alexander Luthor (Smallville)
- 24 Images featuring Alexander Luthor (Smallville)
- 1 Quotations by or about Alexander Luthor (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Alexander Luthor (Smallville)
- Alexander Luthor (Smallville) at Wikipedia.org
- Michael Rosenbaum biography page at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."
|Green Arrow Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Green Arrow, or his supporting cast including Black Canary and Team Arrow. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Arrow Villains."