Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- I wonder if I should kill you now... or just give you cancer.
- -- Doctor Phosphorus src
Dr. Alex Sartorius, alias Doctor Phosphorus was a member of the Tobacconists' Club, who wanted to build a nuclear power plant in Gotham City with help from the Club's chairman, Rupert Thorne. However, the people of Gotham refused the construction of the plant and he was forced to take the project far from the city. Eventually, Sartorius was transformed by sand irradiated during the nuclear plant’s meltdown, driven up one element on the chemical table, from silicon to phosphorus. His body was changed as his skin would burn at any contact and his skeleton showed through his skin. For his mutation, he swore to make Gotham pay by poisoning the water supply. This plan was foiled by the timely intervention of Gotham's protector, Batman, but Phosphorus escaped from the vigilante and contacted Thorne to eliminate Batman. Batman however continued his search for Phosphorus and they eventually clashed in the nuclear power plant where everything started. During the struggle, Dr. Phosphorus fell into the nuclear reactor, creating a big explosion and he was presumed dead.
After the twice-rebuilt Gotham Nuclear Reactor goes critical for ten minutes, Batman investigates, finds glowing footprints at the site, and deduces that Dr. Phosphorus is back. A group of protesters has gathered to demand that the plant be shut down as a safety hazard. Phosphorus, who has made the plant his new home, thinks otherwise. Meanwhile, Batgirl defeats Killer Moth in Washington, D.C., and comes to Gotham as Congresswoman Barbara Gordon to make a speech advocating the closing of the nuclear plant and the dismantlement of the nuclear power industry. Batman meets with her after checking on Rupert "Boss" Thorne at Arkham Asylum and failing to capture Dr. Phosphorus, who threatens to "reign over all!" Batman abruptly realizes that Phosphorus intends to seed clouds with irradiated material and rain fire on Gotham City. He and Batgirl track down Phosphorus at the airport where he is trying to commandeer a small plane. Batman smashes into the plane with his Batmobile and halts it, but is dazed. Batgirl is menaced by Phosphorus, but captures him by wrapping him up in Batman's radiation-proof cape and tying it up with a Batrope. Batman revives and finds the situation well in hand.
Phosphorus was held in Arkham for a long time until the place was destroyed by a new Black Mask. Free once again, Phosphorus kidnapped Francine Langstrom in order to lure her husband, Robert into a trap. Phosphorus managed to capture him, but Robert located Francine and tried to escape. As they were escaping, Phosphorus attacked Francine, which enraged Robert and caused him to transform into Man-Bat without the need of the serum. Man-Bat grabbed Phosphorus and forced him into the waters near the pier, leaving him to his own fate.
- Radiation: Doctor Phosphorus' body perpetually produces harmful radiation. An involuntary power, Phosphorus can use this ability as a weapon to kill his victims with a toxic radiaoactive touch.
- Radiation Production: After being empowered from selling his soul to Neron he seems to give off an aura of radiation in his immediate area and can regulate this effect to burn incoming projectiles or as low as being able keep his clothes from burning.
- Energy Projection: Alexander can manipulate this radiation for various effects. Such as a burning field of radiation in the form of shields or offensively as a radiation explosion. He can also emit toxic fumes from his body in all directions, making it hard to breathe and burning sensitive sensors.
- Superhuman Endurance: His body's major organs are no longer present but the nuclear radiations serves his body for these functions. As such he produces an endlessly clean source of energy for himself, which is also just as endlessly occurring.
- Radiation Dependence: If he were able to shut off his phosphorus form he would die because this form keeps his body running at peak capacity.
- Radiation Sickness: It is suggested that since the radiation replaced his central nervous system that the only function his brain serves to understand now is revenge. Every time he is left to his own devices he plots revenge to Gotham City, never using his powers for anything productive.
- Doctor Phosphorus is also known as Baron of Blight.
- 40 Appearances of Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 8 Images featuring Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."