- I wonder if I should kill you now... or just give you cancer.
- -- Doctor Phosphorus src
- -- Doctor Phosphorus src
Dr. Alex Sartorius, alias Doctor Phosphorus was transformed by sand irradiated during a nuclear plant’s meltdown, driven up one element on the chemical table, from silicon to phosphorus. Now he has sworn to make Gotham pay, and demands that Bell use the city council to stop Batman from interfering with him, or die. Bell calls the Council’s head man, Rupert "Boss" Thorne.
He later poisons Gotham City’s water supply.
After the twice-rebuilt Gotham Nuclear Reactor goes critical for ten minutes, Batman investigates, finds glowing footprints at the site, and deduces that Dr. Phosphorus is back. A group of protesters has gathered to demand that the plant be shut down as a safety hazard. Phosphorus, who has made the plant his new home, thinks otherwise. Meanwhile, Batgirl defeats Killer Moth in Washington, D.C., and comes to Gotham as Congresswoman Barbara Gordon to make a speech advocating the closing of the nuclear plant and the dismantlement of the nuclear power industry. Batman meets with her after checking on Rupert "Boss" Thorne at Arkham Asylum and failing to capture Dr. Phosphorus, who threatens to "reign over all!" Batman abruptly realizes that Phosphorus intends to seed clouds with irradiated material and rain fire on Gotham City. He and Batgirl track down Phosphorus at the airport where he is trying to commandeer a small plane. Batman smashes into the plane with his Batmobile and halts it, but is dazed. Batgirl is menaced by Phosphorus, but captures him by wrapping him up in Batman's radiation-proof cape and tying it up with a Batrope. Batman revives and finds the situation well in hand.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Radiation: Doctor Phosphorus' body perpetually produces harmful radiation. An involuntary power, Phosphorus can use this ability as a weapon to kill his victims with a toxic radiaoactive touch.
- Radiation Production: After being empowered from selling his soul to Neron he seems to give off an aura of radiation in his immediate area and can regulate this effect to burn incoming projectiles or as low as being able keep his clothes from burning.
- Energy Projection: Alexander can manipulate this radiation for various effects. Such as a burning field of radiation in the form of shields or offensively as a radiation explosion. He can also emit toxic fumes from his body in all directions, making it hard to breathe and burning sensitive sensors.
- Superhuman Endurance: His body's major organs are no longer present but the nuclear radiations serves his body for these functions. As such he produces an endlessly clean source of energy for himself, which is also just as endlessly occurring.
- Radiation Dependence: If he were able to shut off his phosphorus form he would die because this form keeps his body running at peak capacity.
- Radiation Sickness: It is suggested that since the radiation replaced his central nervous system that the only function his brain serves to understand now is revenge. Every time he is left to his own devices he plots revenge to Gotham City, never using his powers for anything productive.
- 42 Appearances of Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alexander Sartorius (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."