Very little is known about the history of Alexei Luthor before he rose to power and took control of several minor European nations prior to World War II through his super-scientific machinations. He intended to plunge all of the European countries into war starting with the small countries of Galonia and Toran, and used his scientific genius to sabotage a peace conference, but was defeated by Kal-L, the hero known as Superman.
Alexei escaped and later plagued Kal-L with a gigantic Kryptonite meteor after learning about Superman's weakness from Dan Rivers. Unable to defeat Superman, Alexei took solace in publicly revealing Superman's weakness to the world, causing trouble for Kal-L from other various foes.
Alexei would return time and time again with elaborate plans to kill Superman, but was defeated each time.
Later in his career, Alexei would learn of the Multiverse and team up with his Earth-One counterpart Lex Luthor in an attempt to conquer Earth-Three. Recruiting Earth-Three's primary villain, Ultraman (an evil counterpart to their Supermen) to aid them in conquering Earth-Three, Alexei and Lex Luthor were defeated by their own Earth-Three counterpart, Alexander Luthor, who became Earth-Three's first and only super-hero.
Alexei would continue on his private quest for world domination of Earth-Two until he was recruited by Brainiac during The Crisis on Infinite Earths. Upon confronting the Earth-One Lex Luthor, who had been selected over him by Brainiac as field commander of their amassed gathering, Alexei stated to all present "Wait one second! Who appointed that second-rate lab-rat our spokesman? I'm the Luthor of Earth-2! My genius is far greater than his! You don't need him!", to which Brainiac replied, "You speak logically, Luthor! But I assembled this group! The decision for leader is mine! But you are correct. We do not need two Luthors!" And Brainiac immediately disintegrated Alexei Luthor on the spot, leaving the Earth-One version the only Luthor present. Following the end of the Crisis, Alexei Luthor was eliminated from history, and is no longer remembered by anyone on New Earth.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Genius level intellect
Alexei Luthor appears to have the strength of an average human male.
- Though Alexei Luthor had a similar appearance and demeanor in his 1940 debut (where he was known only as "Luthor"), subsequent appearances of Luthor throughout the 40's portrayed him as completely bald. When it became necessary in the 1960's to distinguish the Golden Age Luthor from the one then appearing in DC Comics, the character was retroactively assigned many of the exploits of his bald successor, as well as the first name "Alexei." The Golden Age Luthor was a far more blood-thirsty character than his successors. Whereas Earth-One's Luthor preferred humiliating his adversary to prove his genius, Alexei Luthor sought only Superman's death.
- 59 Appearances of Alexei Luthor (Earth-Two)
- 4 Images featuring Alexei Luthor (Earth-Two)
- 1 Quotations by or about Alexei Luthor (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Alexei Luthor (Earth-Two)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."