|Real Name||Alfred Pennyworth|
|Relatives||Jarvis Pennyworth (father, deceased); Wilfred (brother); Julia Remarque (daughter); Daphne Pennyworth (niece)|
|Base Of Operations||Wayne Manor, Gotham City|
|Occupation||Butler; (formerly) actor; (formerly) intelligence agent.|
|Creators||Bill Finger, Bob Kane|
|First Appearance||Last appearance|
Alfred was a retired British intelligence agent who followed the dying wish of his father, Jarvis, to carry on the tradition of serving the Wayne family. To that end, Alfred went to Wayne Manor and introduced himself to Bruce Wayne and his ward Dick Grayson, insisting on becoming their butler. Despite not wanting or needing a butler, the pair did not have the heart to reject Alfred, who on his first night in the manor discovered his employer's secret: Bruce Wayne was Batman! Alfred proved his worth by calmly attending to his employer's injuries (Wayne had been injured in the field) and from then on added the support staff duties of the Dynamic Duo to his regular tasks.
Years later, with Batman out of town, Alfred became aware of the activities of a group of criminals his employer was interested in and took it upon himself to tail them. Unfortunately getting himself captured, Alfred apparently sacrificed his life to save Batman and Robin when they arrived to rescue him and walked into a trap. In tribute to him, Bruce Wayne created The Alfred Foundation. Alfred, however, was not truly dead but was on the brink of death when he was found by the physicist Brandon Crawford, who attempted to revive him with a special radiation treatment; the treatment mutated Alfred into a super powered being who called himself the Outsider, and who was driven by hatred of Batman for his apparent abandonment of Alfred.
The deranged Outsider repeatedly attacked Batman and Robin over the course of several months, sometimes in person and sometimes using less direct means. Eventually, Batman discovered the Outsider's true identity and restored him to normal. Alfred resumed his duties as Wayne's butler, with the assistance of Dick Grayson's Aunt Harriet.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
(All the powers as Outsider only)
- Molecular Reconstruction
- Enhanced Intellect
- Superhuman Durability: He could easily withstand Batman's punches.
- Science (As Outsider only)
- Acting: He was an actor prior to becoming a butler.
- Mimicry: His ability for vocal mimicry means he can impersonate Bruce Wayne on the telephone convincingly.
- This version of Alfred Pennyworth (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 371 Appearances of Alfred Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- 2 Images featuring Alfred Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- 2 Quotations by or about Alfred Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Alfred Pennyworth (Earth-One)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."