|Real Name||Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth|
|Current Alias||Alfred Pennyworth|
|Relatives||Jarvis Pennyworth (father, deceased), Wilfred Pennyworth (older brother), Daphne Pennyworth (niece); Julia Pennyworth (daughter); Bruce Wayne (legal ward)|
|Affiliation||Batman Family, Outsiders|
|Base Of Operations||Wayne Manor; Batcave; Gotham City|
|Occupation||Butler; Caretaker, former Actor; Field Medic; Government Agent|
|Place of Birth||England|
|Creators||Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson|
- We soldier on undaunted, you and I, Master Bruce. And if I may say so, sir... I couldn't beg, borrow or steal a finer way to live my life.
- -- Alfred Pennyworth src
Alfred Pennyworth is the British butler and valet to the Wayne Family. He took up the role of legal guardian of Bruce Wayne after the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. Alfred grew up in England and joined the army once he became of age. He served in various conflicts all over the world, gaining skill in as a field medic. He spent years in the British Guard and later the MI-5 before retiring to pursue acting.
He performed all over the UK and was following his dream when his father dies. Alerted by Thomas Wayne, Alfred puts his plans on hold to honor his father's wish and become the Waynes' butler. After several months, Alfred voices the desire to return home to continue acting. However, these plans are forgotten when young Master Wayne returns home from school early after being bullied. Alfred teaches Bruce how to defeat the bully strategically rather than using brute force. Armed with Alfred's tutelage, young Bruce manages to take care of his bully problem. Alfred stays on as the family butler at Bruce's request.
After the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Alfred was named Bruce's legal guardian, however, social services combated the will thinking that Bruce should not be raised by a servant. However, Bruce managed to remain in Alfred's care by, despite his young age, bribing the social service agent into allowing Alfred to raise him.
Alfred raises young Bruce Wayne together with Dr. Leslie Thompkins a close friend and colleague of Thomas Wayne. Later, Bruce decided to travel abroad and Alfred stayed at Wayne Manor and begins a short lived romance with Dr. Leslie Tompkins.
Alfred is pleased that young Master Bruce returned home to Wayne Manor after many years of study and training. It is on his return that he supports Bruce's plan to take back Gotham City from the criminals and helps him as best he can. After his first outing it is Alfred that patches him up, but only after Bruce discovers a bat in the study that inspires him to don a costume to strike fear into criminals. When Lieutenant Gordon and his wife come to visit Bruce Alfred helps Bruce disguise himself as a self-absorb playboy millionaire and thus escaped suspicion of Bruce's "involvement" in Batman's attacks against the city mob.
Alfred accompanies Master Wayne to the UK, and is angered when he insists on endangering his own health while paraplegic. This was the culmination of several weeks of Wayne's self-destructive behaviour, and when Wayne returns to Gotham City, Alfred remains in Britain, tendering his resignation. He spends some time on holiday he travels to various exotic locations such as Antarctica and the Caribbean before returning to Great Britain. Dick Grayson tracks him down several months later and convinces him to return to America.
His resourcefulness came to the fore in the No Man's Land event, . Batman was missing for weeks, leaving Alfred alone to watch the city. He used his skills as an actor, storyteller, medic, and spy to survive and collect information on the recently destroyed society. Alfred even used hand-to-hand combat in a rare on-panel fight sequence between him and a pair of slavers that ended with his rescue by a just-returned Batman.
After Batman's death, Alfred set up a new Outsiders team, in an effort to fill Batman's shoes with their combined efforts.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Military Protocol
- Tactical Analysis
- Medicine: A former field medic, Alfred is capable of performing minor surgery and stitching wounds for Batman.
- Acting: He can work undercover on cases for Batman.
- Mimicry: His ability for vocal mimicry means he can impersonate Bruce Wayne on the telephone convincingly.
Created by writer Bob Kane and artist Jerry Robinson, he first appeared in Batman #16 (April-May 1943), overweight and clean-shaven. This specific incarnation was later named as Alfred Beagle and used as the family manager of the Earth-Two Wayne and Grayson.
This printed page version of Alfred would be changed after "Alfred the Butler" was presented in the 1943 Batman movie serial. William Austin, the actor who played Alfred, was trim and sported a thin moustache. DC editors wanted the printed page version of Alfred to resemble his cinematic counterpart, so in Detective Comics #83 (January 1944), Alfred vacationed at a health resort, where he slimmed down and grew a moustache. This look has remained with the character ever since, even surviving the apparent death of the Earth-One version of Alfred (in Detective Comics #328 in 1964) and his resurrection (in Detective Comics #356 in 1966).
When Earth-Two was formally reintroduced into regular DC comic usage, the old heavier Beagle would be brought back.
- He is the only member of the Batman Family that is allowed by Bruce Wayne to own a firearm.
- The character is very popular, having received a nomination for the R.A.C. "Squiddy" Award for Favorite Supporting Character in 1994 and for Best Character in 2001. He was also nominated for the Wizard Fan Award for Favorite Supporting Male Character in 1994.
- Like most of the Earth-One Batman Family members, Pennyworth never met Beagle, although he did meet the Earth-Two Huntress and Earth-Two Grayson, who mentioned Beagle to Pennyworth.
- 971 Appearances of Alfred Pennyworth (New Earth)
- 110 Images featuring Alfred Pennyworth (New Earth)
- 62 Quotations by or about Alfred Pennyworth (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alfred Pennyworth (New Earth)
- Alfred Pennyworth at dccomics.com
- Alfred Pennyworth at Wikipedia.org
- Alfred Pennyworth article at Wikipedia
- Alfred Pennyworth profile at the Oracle Files
- Alfred Pennyworth profile from Batman: The Animated Series
- Comic Book Awards Almanac
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.
This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.