Akyone was once the leader of Hippolyta's royal guard, her most loyal of warriors, until she conspired with the Myrto, Charis and Philomela to kill Diana when she was a baby, calling her 'the Dragon' and believing she would rend Themyscira apart. Kept as a prisoner by Hippolyta and refusing to ask for forgiveness, she was eventually let free when the island was invaded and renewed her hunt, but was defeated by Wonder Woman.
When Achilles was appointed King of Themyscira, she married him for purely political reasons and became Queen. Soon after, she usurped his power, using the precedent that on Themyscira, political authority lay solely with the Queen and there were no provisions for a King's position.
She ordered the arrest of Hippolyta to force Diana's surrender, but when she brought out 'Hippolyta' to be executed it was secretly another Amazon killed in her steed, for her plan was, and always had been, to kill Diana and then return Hippolyta, to whom she still felt loyalty, to the throne once 'the Dragon's' taint was gone, even at the cost of her own life. Empowering herself and the Circle with the spirit of the villain Genocide and called forth the dark heart of Themyscira itself, a malevolent spirit who's clay was used in part to form Diana, she engaged Wonder Woman in combat when Diana and her allies attacked the execution.
Despite her efforts, she was overcome and defeated by the combined efforts of Wonder Woman and Achilles.
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. Alkyone possesses the same potential powers as an average Amazon. These include:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as Alkyone stays on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Amazonian training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Alkyone was Phinea's lover until Alkyone herself sacrificed her to summon Cottus, with the intention of destroying Wonder Woman.
- 13 Appearances of Alkyone (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Alkyone (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Alkyone (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alkyone (New Earth)
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."