Utilizing Brainiac's technology, Alura and the people of Argo City survived the destruction of Krypton. Sensing the utilization of his force field tech, Brainiac returned and integrated those individuals who he deemed valuable into the bottle city of Kandor. Alura's daughter, Kara, was able to escape Brainiac's reach as she was sent to Earth to join her cousin, Kal-El.
Alura and her husband remained on Brainiac's ship for many years, but succeeded in making a life for themselves. Some time ago, Brainiac came to the planet Earth with the intent of appropriating their various cultures as well. He came into conflict with Alura's nephew Superman who defeated Brainiac and liberated Kandor. He relocated Kandor not far from his arctic Fortress of Solitude whereupon he restored it to it's original size. The city then became known as New Krypton. The liberated citizens of Kandor were now free to do whatever they wanted.
Under a yellow sun, Alura's (as well as the other Kryptonians) cell structure processed the ultraviolet radiation, enhancing her physical traits to superhuman levels. She could now fly, project blasts of thermal energy and perform Herculean feats of strength, just like Superman.
Alura's husband, Zor-El, attempted to assimilate the Kandorians into regular Earth culture, but Alura didn't share her husband's idealism. She believed that Earthlings were just a weaker, lesser version of Kryptonians. Having lived as a refugee for so many years, Alura was not ready to compromise any aspect of Kryptonian culture.
Without her husband's knowledge, Alura employed the aid of a Kandorian military contingent led by Commander Gor. Believing that Superman's more dangerous adversaries represented a threat to not only Superman, but to all Kryptonians, she instructed Commander Gor to abduct several known felons from Stryker's Island Penitentiary and relocate them to the Phantom Zone. This incident proved highly controversial as several Science Police guards at Stryker's were killed during the prison break. When Superman learned of the unfortunate deaths, he pleaded with Zor-El and Alura to help bring these renegade Kryptonians to justice. Alura didn't reveal the part that she played in this controversey, but also didn't express any remorse either.
Alura's commitment towards Kryptonian ideals took a bitter turn when two known agents of Project 7734, Metallo and Reactron invaded New Krypton and murdered Zor-El. Alura presided over her husband's funeral services.
Following this, Alura continued working on a project originally begun by Zor-El. Using elements of the Sunstone crystal, as well as reverse-engineered components of the original Brainiac probes, Alura activated a device that uprooted all of New Krypton from the Earth. The city-state flew into the sky and took position around the sun on the opposite orbit of Earth. She publicly declared that since Kryptonians were obviously no longer welcome on Earth, then Earthlings (as well as Superman) would not be permitted on New Krypton.
Last Stand of New Krypton
When Brainiac attacked New Krypton, Alura helps defending the city and became the sole surviving council member in the wake of the attack.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Alura possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Alura's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Alura can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Alura's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Alura's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Alura can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Aluras can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Alura can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Alura is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Alura is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Alura is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Alura's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Alura is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Alura is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Alura possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- 49 Appearances of Alura In-Ze (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Alura In-Ze (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Alura In-Ze (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Alura In-Ze (New Earth)
Superman Family member