Holy anachronisms, Batman!
This article is in need of updated information.
- You are easily outmatched. I will end this quickly.
- -- Amazo src
Credited as being the world's first official android, Amazo was created by the immortal, evil mastermind Professor Ivo. Utilizing superior "absorption cell" technology, Amazo can replicate the super powers of any metahuman he encounters. And so, Amazo became one of the most dangerous menaces to originally oppose the Justice League of America. While initially programmed to serve the agenda of his creator: to find any means to prolong Ivo's immortality, Amazo had outgrown his original agenda.
Taking on the Justice League of America, Amazo has several heroic enemies. For a time, he was imprisoned in an airtight chamber within The Fortress of Solitude, after challenging Superman. However, he eventually escaped that prison, and resumed his rivalry with the JLA, as well as the Justice Legion A's Hourman. A cybernetic hero from the 853rd century, Hourman's presence made Amazo resentful and bitter. But while Hourman - who later joined the new Justice Society of America, then departed to his original time period, is no longer Amazo's primary foe, Superman and the rest of the Justice League were still present to pose a continual problem for Amazo. While his programming and own sentience have displayed no intent on world conquest, Amazo exists as a monster of sorts, whose very being is a hazard to all of humanity.
Amazo was taken to Gotham City in a shipment for Black Mask. However it was stolen and activated by Red Hood in order to fight Batman and Nightwing. This version of Amazo was easily defeated as it did not possess the abilities or equipment of Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or Plastic Man and was destroyed by Batman.
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
Professor Ivo is the Project Director of the A-Maze Operating System at S.T.A.R. Labs. He has pioneered the organic pattern process: the means of creating technology to mimic organic life down to a cellular level, which lead to the successful creation of A-Maze OS that mimics cellular regeneration in the field test with the mice. Consequently a parallel support program based on Ivo's design, the B-Maze Operating System, was built without Ivo's knowledge. It has showed results comparable to those of A-Maze OS. His technology was stored in the Red Room and was used by Doctor Silas Stone to save his son Victor Stone turning him into a Cyborg.
- Android Body
- Absorption Cells: The synthetic body permits Amazo to replicate the qualities, mainly powers and skills, of any others in his immediate proximity. This effect can be cumulative depending on the iteration of Amazo encountered with each person in his vicinity adding to the pool of abilities he can pull from and the strength of those powers. Some iterations also retain a "default" template based on the powers of the original core members of the Justice League.
- Power Loss: The power Amazo replicates are not permanently gained and at least one version was limited to only the powers and abilities possessed by members of the Justice League. This iteration was forced into dormancy in the middle of combat by a founding member of the League disbanding the team.
- Power Limitation(formerly): Originally Amazo could only use powers based on one person at a time at a time. Later iterations had removed this limitation.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In a battle with Amazo, the android demonstrated abilities and powers of Superman, Flash, Batman, Elongated Man, and the Atom without actually seeing them and absorbing their powers.
- 83 Appearances of Amazo (New Earth)
- 28 Images featuring Amazo (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Amazo (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Amazo (New Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
Injustice League member