Andrew Nolan and his twin brother, Douglas were born with severely deformed faces. Horrified, their mother, Mary Nolan, a famous stage actress, abandoned them. Left in the care of an unscrupulous scientist called "Doc 30", he escaped as a teenager while Douglas remained behind.
When the Legion were able to return to their home time, Ferro went with them and served with them for some time until several of the team were Lost in a rift, and the remainder ordered to disband.
After this he went with Karate Kid to a monastery on the planet Steeple, a planet only accessible for short periods every ten years before a black hole prevented access once more. While there, he finally learned to deal with his deformity, but he was savagely beaten by an escaped convict and, while the monks were able to save his life, he was trapped in iron form with the helmet he wore fused to his face. Moreover, he and Karate Kid, who had refused to leave his friend behind, were now trapped on the planet for ten years.
Or so it seemed, Brainiac 5 was able to use the Threshold technology he had learned of during his time Lost to open a path to Steeple. However, before it was decided it was safe for sentients to use the link, he, along with all of the Legion bar Sensor and Shikari and several whole planets were entranced by Universo. Sensor and Shikari were forced to use the unstable link to Steeple to escape, and the four of them were able to free Saturn Girl who, with aid from Apparition and Ultra Boy's child, Cub, was able to defeat Universo, while Ferro and Karate Kid rejoined the team.
- Organic Iron Transformation: Ferro has the superhuman ability to convert the tissue of his entire body into an organic Iron. He is able to transform into this armor-like state at will the process is virtually instantaneous and remain in that form for an as yet undetermined amount of time. Once in his Iron form he remains so until he consciously wills himself back to normal. If he is rendered unconscious, however, he spontaneously reverts to his normal form. While in the armored state, Ferro possesses the same degree of mobility that he does in his normal form.
- Superhuman Strength: After transforming into Iron he possesses vast superhuman strength.
- Superhuman Stamina: Also, while in his Iron form his musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins than the musculature of a normal human.
- Superhuman Durability: In his Iron form he is invulnerable to most forms of bodily harm. His armor is capable of withstanding ballistic penetration. He can survive extremes of temperature as well.
- Legion Flight Ring: All Legionnaires were presented with a flight ring that enabled them to defy gravity and sustain movement through the air by aerodynamically generating force.
- 70 Appearances of Andrew Nolan (Post-Zero Hour)
- 8 Images featuring Andrew Nolan (Post-Zero Hour)
- Quotations by or about Andrew Nolan (Post-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Andrew Nolan (Post-Zero Hour)
- Ferro at dccomics.com
- Andrew Nolan at Wikipedia.org
- Ferro profile at Legion Wiki
- Ferro profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Legion of Super-Heroes member