Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Death of the Red Mask": After helping to deal with the events of the invasion, Animal Man stops by Miami, where it appears that the city has been overrun by rampaging red robots. Fortunately, the robots are fairly ineffective and simply explo
Appearing in "The Death of the Red Mask"
Synopsis for "The Death of the Red Mask"
After helping to deal with the events of the invasion, Animal Man stops by Miami, where it appears that the city has been overrun by rampaging red robots. Fortunately, the robots are fairly ineffective and simply explode and walk into things. Despite this, Buddy decides to seek out the source.
Buddy comes across portly man in a super-villain costume, preparing to jump from the top of a building. Buddy manages to pull him back, and he introduces himself as the Red Mask. He offers to reveal his secret origins to Animal Man.
Red Mask explains that in 1945, he had touched a meteor which gave him the power of a death-touch, killing everything he laid his hands on. When his wife left him, for obvious reasons, he became a super-villain, teaming up with The Veil to commit robberies. Unfortunately, The Veil went insane as a result of his powers, and was put in Arkham Asylum, bringing an end to the careers of both.
When asked why he has shared this story, Red Mask explains that he is dying, and that the robots and his imminent suicide are his last-ditch effort to go down in a blaze of glory. Buddy offers to use his connections to get Red Mask some air-time on TV, in lieu of suicide, and flies off. But, in the meantime, the Red Mask becomes impatient, and throws himself from the top of the building - finally experiencing his dream of the power of flight before hitting the concrete below.
Buddy finishes off the robots and begins flying back to Los Angeles, but he is startled by something unseen.
- This issue is reprinted in Animal Man: Book One.
- The Edgar Allen Poe story that Red Mask references as the inspiration for his moniker is The Masque of the Red Death.
- On page 7, the Red Mask tells Animal Man: "Listen, if you have five seconds to spare, I'll tell you the story of my life". This sentence is almost identical to part of the lyrics of Half a Person by British band The Smiths, released the previous year.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Animal Man Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Animal Man series
- Images from Animal Man Vol 1 7
Links and References
- Animal Man series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Animal Man series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Animal Man article at Wikipedia
- Animal Man article at Toonopedia
- Animal Man article at Sequart
- Animal Man series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Animal Man profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe