"Once and Future, Part One of Six": During a storm Arthur Joseph Curry falls into the ocean. Disoriented, he is contacted telepathically by the unseen Dweller in the Depths, who upon learning Arthur's name guid
- I'm Arthur Curry, all right. Arthur Joseph Curry. But I don't know any "Orin," and I'm no Aquaman.
Appearing in "Once and Future, Part One of Six"
- Arthur Joseph Curry (First appearance)
- Anton Geist (Mentioned only)
- Aquababy (Orin's prophecy) (Mentioned only)
- Aquagirl (Orin's prophecy)
- Aqualad (Orin's prophecy)
- Atlanna (Orin's prophecy)
- Atlanteans (Flashback only) (Orin's prophecy)
- Black Manta (Orin's prophecy)
- Elaine Curry (Dies in flashback)
- Justice League (Orin's prophecy)
- Kordax (Mentioned only)
- Mera (Orin's prophecy)
- Neptune Perkins (Dies in flashback)
- Ocean Master (Orin's prophecy)
- Tom Curry (Orin's prophecy)
- Superman (On a TV or computer screen)
- Tusky (Orin's prophecy)
- Carassian Hills
- Curry-Jonas Oceanographic Center
- Orin's amulet
- Trident of Poseidon (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Once and Future, Part One of Six"
During a storm Arthur Joseph Curry falls into the ocean. Disoriented, he is contacted telepathically by the unseen Dweller in the Depths, who upon learning Arthur's name guides him to the Carassian Hills. There, at the Dweller's telepathic urging, he assist King Shark against a group of Aurati raiders. King Shark summons sharks to fight the Aurati, and the Dweller guides Arthur and King Shark to him, revealing himself as a humanoid with a trident and a squid-like head. The Dweller gives Arthur an amulet that lets him understand the language of undersea races, and directs Arthur to a cave to put on proper raiment. The Dweller tries to heal the open wound on King Shark's chest, but despite his magic he cannot.
The Dweller tries to tell King Shark he has a role to play, but Arthur returns in Aquaman's uniform, and King Shark flies into a rage, for Aquaman had pierced him with a spear. To the Dweller's surprise Arthur insists he does not know of Aquaman or Orin. He is the son of Dr. Phillip Curry, who was forced to test a mutative serum on him when he was born prematurely, giving Arthur gills. The Dweller delivers a prophecy that sounds very similar, though not identical, to the previous history of Aquaman, and declares he and King Shark are there to guide him on the hero's path. King Shark is skeptical, but reveals that Aquaman has been missing for a while. The issue ends with the Dweller writing in his journal with a hand made of hard water.
- This book was first published on March 1, 2006.
- This issue received a second printing on April 5th, 2006 with a black and white cover by Jackson Guice.
- The flashback panel in which King Shark is stabbed comes from Infinite Crisis #3
- The Dweller in the Depths has a hand made of hard water, just like Aquaman once did.
- The title, "Once and Future", is a reference to T.H. White's "The Once and Future King", a famous Arthurian fantasy. Aquaman contains many references to Arthurian legend (such as his name, Arthur, his having been raised by foster parents, and his home of Avalon Cay).
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis Vol 1 40 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis series
- Images from Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis Vol 1 40
- Aquaman Recommended Reading
Links and References
The events from this issue take place one year after the events of the 2006 limited series Infinite Crisis. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: 1 Year Later Crossover.