Arak was a Native American who was discovered as a boy in a canoe out at sea by Vikings. Arak was rescued just before the canoe sank. He was unconscious, but awakened just long enough to utter the phrase "He-No" (a reference to his native american father) a few times and swing a knife at the viking leader. He was not attacking, but cut off the leaders necklace which had a hammer symbol called a hammer of thunder, related to the god Thor. The leader wanted to kill him, but another viking stopped him and adopted the boy. Arak was raised as a viking, trained in warfare. Arak was particularly effective with a small axe, similar in proportion to a native American club he was found with, but could also use a sword, shield, and bow. Arak joined the Vikings as a young man on their raids. They consisted mostly of raiding monasteries for treasure, including a huge gold bejeweled cross which the captain hung upside down on the mast as a good luck hammer of thunder. A sea serpent attacked the viking and some monks. All of the vikings, including Arak's adoptive father, were killed. Arak seized the gold cross and said "Hammer of one god, or cross of another, strike for me now!", he threw the cross, which had a sharp bottom, at the serpent. The cross pierced the roof of its mouth and entered its brain, killing it. Arak managed to save one monk. The monk told him that God had delivered them. Arak replied he does not know it if it was the monk's god, thunder, or his own god, whom he had all but forgotten.
Arak continued to go on other adventures.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Arak's tribal name is Bright Sky After Storm.
- 58 Appearances of Arak Red-Hand (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Arak Red-Hand (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Arak Red-Hand (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Arak Red-Hand (New Earth)