Armageddon 2001 refers to a gigantic battle between all of Earth's heroes and a villain known only as Monarch, in which the superheroes were slain and the all-powerful Monarch plunged the world into a totalitarian government underneath his rule. This [[Possible Futur
Armageddon 2001 refers to a gigantic battle between all of Earth's heroes and a villain known only as Monarch, in which the superheroes were slain and the all-powerful Monarch plunged the world into a totalitarian government underneath his rule. This Possible Future took place in the then-future year of 2001, hence the title. In the year 2030, Matthew Ryder, a scientist sent into the Timestream as a part of one of Monarch's experiments, becomes imbued with temporal superpowers and journeys into the past as Waverider to attempt to learn more about Monarch and determine who he is so he can be thwarted. On his journeys, Waverider investigates the possible futures of almost every superhero in the DCU, some even multiple times. As the tale reaches its conclusion, the identity of Monarch is revealed as he appears in the present time to destroy all superheroes in order to make his future reign be certain.
- Armageddon 2001 #1
- Superman (Volume 2) Annual #3
- Batman Annual #15
- Justice League America Annual #5
- Action Comics Annual #3
- Flash (Volume 2) Annual #4
- Hawkworld (Volume 2) Annual #2
- New Titans Annual #7
- Detective Comics Annual #4
- Adventures of Superman Annual #3
- L.E.G.I.O.N. Annual #2
- Hawk And Dove (Volume 3) Annual #2
- Justice League Europe Annual #2
- Armageddon 2001 #2
- Action Comics Vol 1 #670
Items: None known.
Vehicles: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- According to Dan Jurgens as interviewed by Dylan Bruck, "There was a 900 service that somebody setup that supposedly gave you inside secrets of the comic book industry. And somewhere along the line, that 900 service started saying that Monarch was going to be Captain Atom." (Wizard Magazine #179, page 49 July 27, 2006.)
- DC's response to the leak was to change who Monarch was. The problem was they choose Hawk who along with Dove had been totally eliminated as viable candidates for becoming Monarch in any future thanks to Hawk and Dove Annual (Volume 3) #2.
- No trivia.
Links and References
Eclipso: The Darkness Within
This comic issue is a part of the "Armageddon 2001" crossover event that took place throughout all of DC's Annuals in 1991.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Armageddon 2001 Crossover" category.