- He calls himself Abattoir -- a slaughterhouse. Killed nineteen, stripped their flesh to eat their souls, he said.
A serial killer who was convinced that his family was evil, Arnold Etchinson believed that he absorbed something of their life force when he killed them. He was apprehended and incarcerated in Arkham Asylum. He escaped when Bane set all the inmates free during the events of "Knightfall," and went on to kill several more members of his family.
Eventually he was tracked down by Jean-Paul Valley, who was acting as Batman at the time. Valley chased him into a refinery and nearly knocked him into a vat of molten metal. Abbatoir was hanging from a plank above it, but Valley allowed him to fall to his death. Since Abattoir was holding an innocent man inside a secret, hidden torture chamber at an unknown location, Valley indirectly condemned that prisoner to death.
Abattoir returned as a ghost (during a brief period of increased supernatural activity, worldwide), to torment the original Batman (Bruce Wayne) using Valley´s Batman-armor, but Batman proved much less susceptible to psychological assault than his substitute. Batman tricked Abbatoir´s ghost into abandoning the armor and his mission. The ghost had been attempting to cause his last remaining blood relative, a pregnant cousin, to miscarry so he could possess the infant.
More recently, during the Blackest Night, the supervillain Black Hand resurrected Etchinson to serve in his Black Lantern Corps. He was among the Black Lanterns that terrorized Gotham City and Commissioner James Gordon and his daughter Barbara until the Blackest Night was over.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Despite being slight of build, Abattoir demonstrated a physical strength level in excess to that of his physical size.
- Bladed Weapons: Abattoir utilized various bladed weapons during the span of his short career.
- Black Lantern Power Ring: (formerly)
- An abattoir is another name for a slaughterhouse - a processing plant where cattle and pigs are killed and butchered for their meat.
- Abattoir was forty-years-old at the time of his death.
- Batman #505
- Batman #508
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat #27
- Detective Comics #625
- Blackest Night: Batman #1
- 7 Appearances of Arnold Etchinson (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Arnold Etchinson (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Arnold Etchinson (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Arnold Etchinson (New Earth)
- Abattoir (slaughterhouse) article at Wikipedia
- Abattoir biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."