Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Arthur Curry is Aquaman, an adventurer who is half-Human and half-Atlantean. This gives him a variety of powers including superhuman strength, telepathic control over marine life, and the ability to survive both in water and on land. He belongs to the royal family of Atlantis, and normally acts as their King. His romantic partner is the princess Mera of Xebel. He is a founding member of two superhero teams, the world-famous Justice League and the clandestine Others.
Aquaman was born the son of the Atlantean queen Atlanna and the Amnesty Bay lighthouse keeper Tom Curry. Atlanna returned to Atlantis so Tom was forced to raise Arthur alone. As a child Aquaman began to show that he had inherited his mother's gifts. Tom turned to Doctor Stephen Shin, a scientist he saved from a storm, so he could better understand Arthur's abilities.
During the time of Arthur's graduation Shin attempted to release his research to the public so Tom destroyed all of it accept a phial of Arthur's blood. Shin paid a treasure hunter known as the Black Manta to retrieve the phial from the Curry household. However their was a struggle and Tom had a heart attack dying in the hospital soon after. Arthur then tracked Black Manta down and killed his father believing it to be Manta. He then fled civilization until he was brought to Atlantis by his mother's royal advisor Vulko.
He ruled over Atlantis for a while until he fled his role and his brother Orm took the mantle. He went on to formed the Others a team made up of outcasts who would search the globe for the Dead King's Atlantean Weapons so they could be save guarded. after retrieving the artifacts and keeping the Trident of Neptune Aquaman parted ways with the Others.
At some point between leaving the Others and joining the Justice League Arthur met and fell in love with Mera, a Xebelian princess sent to kill him.
During the Apokoliptian invasion of Earth Arthur joined a group of Superheroes that spearheaded the defense against Darkseid and his forces. After the team banished Darkseid back to Apokolips and the conflict subsided the group was praised for their actions. This group formerly became known as the Justice League and Arthur joined its founding members Green Lantern, Superman, Cyborg, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Batman.
As Aquaman, Arthur Curry began protecting Boston, having decided to completely abandon Atlantis to pursue a life on land with Mera. Soon, Boston is attacked by a carnivorous underwater species called The Trench, and Aquaman and Mera fended off the invasion.
Chasing the Trench, having taken hostages, to the Marianas Trench, they discovered the predators dying out and desperately trying to feed their children in the remnants of an Atlantean craft. The heroes saved the captives, and Aquaman reluctantly caused the Trench's extinction to prevent further loss of human life. During the US Navy's investigation of the hideout after the fact, Aquaman came in contact with the ship's black box, discovering a centuries old warning inside.
Reuniting with an old ally of Aquaman's named Ya'Wara from his days with the Other, Aquaman and Mera where informed that Black Manta had killed Kahina the Seer, another former member of the Others, and had taken one of the Artifacts of Atlantis - the Seal of Clarity which she was guarding. In order to ensure their safety Aquaman and Ya'Wara began to work together to contact the Others incase Black Manta had gotten to them. First they travelled to the United States Health Center in Heidelberg, Germany in search of Prisoner-of-War before Manta ambushed them, stole Ya'Wara's necklace, and escaped. 
Once the Others were finally assembled, one of their members called the Operative informed them that Black Manta planned to steal the Dead King's Scepter. Although the Others tracked down the villain's location and Aquaman managed to defeat Manta, the heroes did not succeed in time to stop Manta from delivering the scepter to a mysterious stranger and Vostok-X was killed.
Throne of Atlantis
After a series of aggressive moves made by the US government on the area surrounding Atlantis, the underwater state declared war on the surface world. Though Aquaman wanted to stop the conflict peacefully with the help of the Justice League, he soon learned that his own half-brother Orm was leading the invasion.
Conflicted between his loyalties to the Justice League and Atlantis, Aquaman learned by investigating into the matter that Orm had not secretly caused the mysterious attacks by the United States in order to start the war, instead the culprit being Vulko, who was exiled from Atlantis after Curry's departure and wanted revenge.
Battling Orm's oncoming fleet in Boston, Aquaman tried to explain to his brother the conspiracy brought on by Vulko, though Orm refused to stand down. Usurping Orm and declaring himself king once more, Aquaman ended the war on the surface and declared the arrests of both Vulko and Orm. 
Return of the Dead King
Once king again, Aquaman soon received news that Mera has disappeared inside the Bermuda Triangle. He traveled to the Triangle and reached the kingdom of Xebel, Mera's homeland, where he came face to face with the Dead King, who had imprisoned the entire city in ice. After freeing Mera and fighting the Dead King,  Aquaman and Mera retreated to Atlantis to find the city under attack by the villainous Scavenger's fleet. Aquaman summoned Topo, a massive underwater monster, with his telepathy to destroy the Scavenger's forces but the strain of controlling the beast caused him to go into a coma just as the Dead King arrived to reclaim Atlantis.
Growing a beard, Aquaman awakened six months later under Vulko's care in Antarctica. Returning to Atlantis, Arthur commanded the Trench to liberate his home from its tyrant. After a lengthy brawl, Arthur killed the Dead King, being acknowledged as the king of Atlantis once again. 
Around this time, the Crime Syndicate arrived on Earth and trapped Aquaman and the Justice League within the Firestorm Matrix, declaring the world belongs to its villains.  However, the League was eventually freed by Lex Luthor and his Injustice League. 
Adventures with the Others
Aquaman was reunited with the Others when Vostok-X's helmet was stolen from the The Living Room by twisted version of animals. The Others tracked the helmet to the location of the thief where it was revealed that the helmet was stolen by Morgaine le Fey, an immortal sorceress, member of the Immortal Men and sister of Madame Xanadu.
Morgaine wanted the helmet due to it's magical properties, the helmet rid the user of the need of sustenance which would allow her to finally leave the Earth. When Arthur and the others arrived Morgaine cast illusions on each of the Others giving them the chance to join her or die. Arthur, Operative, Prisoner-Of-War and Sky Alchesay all denied but Ya'Wara opted to join her as she believed Morgaine could help her save the Amazon Rainforest. Morgaine was defeated by the Others and Ya'Wara was brought to her senses shortly after.
Some time after defeated Morgaine the Others came under attack from a covert military force trying to retrieve the Artifacts, all of these attempts were futile as Aquaman and the Others were able to fight them off each time. The operatives then kidnapped Kahina the Seer's sister Sayeh wanting access to her Precognition. Arthur and the others were the ambushed by Anton Solokov and his sister Darya who were the behind the attacks. They then transported the Others to their castle in Trezygstan where they met the true enemy, Legend.
Legend revealed that he was from the time of the Dead King and that he had stolen his father's enchanted gold and then murdered him. Atlan then used the Gold to forge the Atlantean Weapons, and Legend had been trying to get the gold back since then. Ya'Wara was teleported to the moon in the conflict and discovered a clone of Vostok which after returning to Earth helped Aquaman and the Others defeat Legend and the Solokov twins, killing Legend in the process. Sayeh and Vostok 2 joined the Others after the battle.
After the fight with Legend Operative is ambushed during a deal by the KGBeast who throws him off a building, saved by Vostok, Operative continues to fight with the KGBeast until he is overwhelmed by both opponents. Cheshire then helps the Beast escapes as Aquaman appears on the scene. Cheshire and KGBeast then meet up with the rest of their team, a group of villains known as Mayhem who's members include Maelstrom, Strangehold, Braze, Cheshire, KGBeast and NKVDemon.
With the drive retrieved from the conflict with Operative- Nuclear launch codes- Mayhem planned to threaten the World and usurp what ever they wanted from it. To make matters worse for Arthur the Prisoner-Of-War became possessed by one of the soldiers he absorbed. However Aquaman and the Others were able to contain the soldier and free the Prisoner-Of-War. Operative corrupted the launch codes before Mayhem could fire any Nuclear Missiles. The Others and Mayhem then fought on an abandoned Prison Island ending the threat.
Quest against the Giant born
After saving some Atlantean workers from lava vents an alert was triggered that a giant creature was attacking the coast. This creature turned out to be the Karaqan a legendary Atlantean guardian, despite this Aquaman killed the beast to halt it's rampage. Aquaman tracked a piece of the Karaqan's brain to an underwater facility called Triton Base (that had siphoned a piece of the brain from the Karaqan's corpse) where he proceeded to save a diver named Coombs from some sharks although he was critically injured in the attack.
On a trip to the surface world the Trident of Neptune was stolen by a researcher named Daniel Evans so he could learn more about ancient Atlantis, Aquaman was not able to stop him from accidentally unleashing the dreaded Giant-Born upon the world from an artifact. The beasts, who recognized Aquaman's Atlantean royal symbol, attacked him for associating with the ancient family who once imprisoned them.
Though he managed to fend off the Giant-Born, also unleashed from that artifact was the ancient hero Hercules, whose mind had been warped after having such an extended stay in the hellish scape he was trapped in. He, too, was defeated by Aquaman, who sent him back into the artifact and swore that he would one day find a way to help the man reclaim his sanity. 
The Unstoppable Algae
An unstoppable Algae monster had began terrorizing the ocean, killing everything in it's way. Looking for a solution to the problem Aquaman and Ya'Wara went searching for the Swamp Thing in hopes of answers. However when confronting the Avatar of the Green no answers were given and he simply fled.
When Aquaman returned to combat the monster Swamp Thing was trying to commune with it, he then had Swamp Thing eaten by Sea-cows before turning to the Algae monster. Aquaman called on his Atlantean forces to destroy the creature but then it fell apart. As it happened Swamp Thing had learned that it was a part of the uber-consciousness of all plant life that split off and formed a baby reality called Kreuzblütler, which Swamp Thing was able to destroy internally.
In Triton Base one of the scientists attempts to create a hybrid creature out of the Karaqan's brain and Coombs' remains, this was successful, however the creature escapes the base and begins it's search for the King of Atlantis.
The creature now calling itself Chimera reaches out to Arthur through marine telepathy and overpowers Aquaman's connection to sea life making them attack him, the connection breaks and Aquaman looks for answers about his experience which lead him to a hospital boat where Stephen Shin is staying ever since Chimera escaped captivity. Chimera attacks Arthur on the boat and overpowers him but still the creature is defeated by an ignited fuel tank which blows it up.
Atlantis was suffering a chain of seaquakes so Aquaman employed the surface researchers Stephen Shin and Daniel Evans to assist in the investigation. It was soon discovered that the reason for the quakes was because the city did not see Aquaman as it's true ruler, this meant that Atlantis never recognized that Atlanna had died. Aquaman discovered her body was not in her tomb. He then proceeded to open an investigation with the help of the Martian Manhunter. This led him to the The Maelstrom Gate where he opened a portal in search of answers.
The portal opened in Gorilla City where he was greeted by Lord Solovar ruler of the city. He asked if anyone had come through the portal years ago and Solovar told that Grodd had the answers, after quickly dispatching Grodd he was told that a woman came through some 15 years ago. He then reentered the portal.
The portal led to the Polynesian seas where Aquaman and Mera were directed to a portal guarded by Fire Trolls. They defeated the Trolls and entered the portal travelling to a hidden island named Pacifica. They are then attacked by Atlanna and her Atlantean tribe who does not believe who Arthur is. After being knocked unconscious by Atlanna she attempts to sacrifice Aquaman to Karaku the Volcano God and ruler of the Island. However he escapes and Karaku attacks the tribe out of anger sending legions of fire trolls on them. The God is then defeated by Mera and Atlanna realizes Aquaman is her son. After abruptly departing from Pacifica Aquaman recieves a message in the form of a shell of sounds from his mother.
On The Run & The Other Atlantis
Arthur heard rumors of alien structures and poisoned water in the kingdom so lead an investigation team to one of the sites. The water it emitted stung to the touch so the team destroyed the structure. As they realized more structures were appearing Arthur speculated that it was an invasion force from another dimension. While investigating one of the structures Arthur realized that the particular structure harbored refugee Atlanteans who had escaped the torment of the other dimension and were led by a warlock named Extriax.
Upon returning to Atlantis Aquaman was attacked by Mera who believed not destroying the structures due to the possible refugees inside would cause the downfall of the World. Cast out from Atlantis Aquaman visited Poseidon hoping to receive the strength to stop the invading dimension and take back Atlantis. As a response Poseidon gave him the powers of lightning, earth, Water, ice and Flight as well as a trident.
Continuing to destroy as many structures as he could on land and in sea, while fighting of any forces coming through the portals, Aquaman continued to run from Atlantis while saving as many refugees as possible. He learned that the alternate dimension was known as Thule, and that during King Atlan's rule an organization of sorcerers known as the Coven of Thule orchestrated wars so they could rule in the shadows, however the King put a stop to this so they created a pocket dimension where they could rule indefinitely. The Coven then built up an invasion force, conquering over worlds on their plain so they would be ready when the spell lifted.
After escaping an Atlantean task force led by Garth Arthur visited Mera to try to convince her of his cause. However Mera revealed that she was not Mera, but her sister Hila who was working as ruler of Atlantis for the Coven of Thule. After escaping from Atlantis, the Justice League sought out Arthur as they wanted to know what was causing the world wide calamity. After filling the League in Arthur instructed them to destroy any invasion forces in countries across the world, While the League was spearheading the defense Arthur was to invade Atlantis.
Aquaman attacked Atlantis using sea monsters to help him topple the large quantities of enemies. After saving Mera from captivity the pair defeated Hila and headed to the Coven's lair. With the help of Garth, Murk, Swatt, his step-sister Tula and Mera Aquaman was able to destroy the Coven and all portals across the World sacrificing his blessings in the process. After the war was over Arthur inducted the refugees into Atlantis.
Some time after the Thule invasion Aquaman began to create relations with the surface world by creating Spindrift Station, an Atlantean embassy on American soil. He appointed Mera as head of relations between Atlantis and the surface world under the guise of Aquawoman. Meanwhile he assisted the F.B.I. in the investigation of multiple murders related to an unknown sea creature which the press was calling Dead Water.
During this investigation he was attacked by the creature who could teleport through water bodies. He was able to defeat the creature and it was revealed that he was a normal man who had worked for Scavenger named Jonah Payne and was lashing out against people who had wronged him as Dead Water. Aquaman now knowing this confronted Scavenger and defeated him, he was then informed that Jonah Payne had disappeared months earlier during a salvage op in a strange water body. Aquaman and Scavenger were then attacked by Dead Water and Payne was killed in the fight.
Arthur heard news of a threat to the surface world, a group of Atlantean extremists known as the Deluge led by Corum Rath, who wanted nothing to do with the surface world, so the group was heading up stream to Boston with enough fusion charges to level the whole city. Fortunately Aquaman was able to stop this from happening as he defeat the terrorists before they could cause another war between Atlantis and the Surface World.
During a diplomatic meeting in Spindrift Station a bomb goes off and Aquaman is attacked by Black Manta who is attempting to ruin Atlantis's negotiations with the surface world. Aquaman and Manta fight to a stand still until Aquaman allows Manta to kill him, believing that Manta wouldn't as it would render his life meaningless. Black Manta chose to surrender and Arthur met up with Mera to check on her wellbeing. When he returned to the embassy it was on lockdown by the U.S. army due to the terrorist attack.
Aquaman and Mera travelled to the White House and met with the chief of staff to get spindrift up and running again. However Arthur was arrested after a U.S. warship named Pontchartrain was sunken by a group of "Atlanteans" claiming to be the Deluge. in order to stop a war from taking place Aquaman agreed to go along with the United States' wishes. However tensions grew worse as the Drift had been caught investigating the wreckage of the Pontchartrain, causing U.S. forces to attack them, this prompted Mera to break Arthur out of jail and the two went on a rampage through battalions of U.S. soldiers as an attempt to reach the open ocean. However this was stopped when Superman arrived and tried to convince Arthur to stand down. Not convinced by Superman's plea Arthur began to attack him until the Atlantean forces arrived to protect him. After receiving an order from Superman to fix the conflict Aquaman retreated into Atlantis and began to look for a way to halt the forthcoming war.
Upon return to Atlantis Murk displayed one of the helmets used by the Deluge during the attack on the Pontchartrain, it was at this moment that Arthur realized someone was trying to start a war between Atlantis and the surface world and that they were surface dwellers as the Atlantean helm had breathing apparatus on it. After making this discovery Arthur interrogated Corum Rath about the helmet but learnt he knew nothing, so had F.B.I. agents Reagan Irving and Arni Ajar investigate the gear on the surface world.
Aquaman learnt of a giant monster heading towards Atlantis that was believed to have been released by the organization behind the conflict. When Arthur went to investigate the creature it attacked him and laid waste to him and all of his forces, Arthur realized that the monster was a creature known as the Shaggy Man, an unstoppable being that had gone toe to toe with the whole Justice League at once. After carving a path through Atlantis the monster headed to the surface world where it began laying waste to Amnesty Bay. Arthur faced the creature alone for the fate of the world and managed to defeat it by teleporting it into space using his Justice League teleportation card, being hospitalized in the process.
When Mera visited him in hospital she told him that she had spoken to Lieutenant Joanna Stubbs of the British Navy who had told her that a shadow organization known as the National Enforcement Macrocosmic Order (N.E.M.O. for short) was behind the conflict. After receiving this information Arthur informed the Justice League who helped ease the tension by heralding Aquaman as a hero, as relations began to take a positive turn news of an Atlantean invasion hit the world.
N.E.M.O. had invaded several cities along the coast using Atlantean weaponry and tactics making it seem like Atlantis was attacking the surface world. As a result of this America declared war on Atlantis destroying any Atlantean vessels they found. As the conflict rose and N.E.M.O. continued attacking American soil the Justice League agreed to help Aquaman by attempting to prove N.E.M.O.'s existence. As the Justice League and Tula (The Regent of Atlantis) headed to the White House with the proof the F.B.I agents found, Arthur travelled to fend off U.S. forces invading Atlantis, Arthur discovered that his adversaries were actually N.E.M.O. and not Americans he attempted to capture them as proof of N.E.M.O.'s involvement, however their heads exploded to a coral implant in their heads which was triggered by a strong signal.
After learning about the League's failure to negotiate with the President, Arthur consolidated with his council on what to do next but was attacked by a covert group of U.S. soldiers who were biologically engineered to kill the King of Atlantis known as the Aquamarines. Aquaman survived the assassination attempt and incarcerated the Aquamarines, it was then that Aquaman realized he could track the signal put off by the coral brain bombs to their source, leading him to the leader of N.E.M.O.. Aquaman tracked the signal to its source where he discovered that Black Manta was the "Fisher King" who had orchestrated the entire war. After defeating Manta and his N.E.M.O. forces, the Fisher King blew himself and his men up in an attempt to leave no proof of N.E.M.O.'s existence, seemingly killing him and his lieutenant Black Jack. After having a meeting with the President and providing proof of N.E.M.O.'s existence, Aquaman was able to reopen peaceful relations with the surface world.
After his conflict with N.E.M.O. and Manta, Arthur began a campaign of peace between Atlantis and the Surface World. This was going smoothly until he heard a mind in great pain, tracking it to it's source at Beckman College, Aquaman found what seemed to be a machine. Then he was attacked by people the Machine was controlling, after defeating the people the machine attempted to control Aquaman. This is when Aquaman learned that the robot was a man named Siyu who was experimented on to become the cyborg known as Warhead. As Warhead, he was leased to the Kahndaqi military and sent to target rebels. When victory was achieved, the Kahndaqis ordered Warhead to wipe out all the rebels but he refused as he saw it as an act of vengeance. The Kandaqi military was not pleased that he didn't follow orders and tried to destroy him. Warhead escaped and traveled across the world, seeking a safe space. Eventually, he fled to New York to find a secure location to begin repairs. Now knowing the truth Aquaman brought him to Atlantis where he could recover.
After the events of H2.O the people of Atlantis became slowly more upset with Arthur's actions. The people set Corum Rath free and he and his followers attacked Aquaman and Mera. After being broken up by the high council, Arthur discussed the necessity of connecting to the surface world for the Atlantean people. However the council disagreed and had Tula imprisoned while the people decided on Arthur's fate.
After Mera and Tula returned to the lighthouse Arthur was voted out of the thrown by the council and Corum Rath was crowned. Using an Atlantean artefact known as the crown of thorns, Rath placed a massive energy shield around Atlantis so that no one could get in or out. Arthur attempted to escape Atlantis so he could formulate a plan but the authorities caught up with him and he was seemingly killed by Murk.
After being stabbed by Murk under Rath's orders, Arthur somehow survived and began defending people from Rath's regime in the Ninth Tride. During his time in the Tride he met a mutant named Dolphin who helped him escape the local authorities. Dolphin took Arthur to one of the mutant haven's in the Ninth Tride where Aquaman listened to their strife. Meanwhile Mera was using all of her hydrokinetic power against the barrier to no avail, and Vulko was plotting a way to break down the barrier and get help after he escaped prison during Corum Rath's release. A mutant crime lord named Krush caught wind of the rumors of Arthur's survival and sent a rogue Magician named Kadaver after the Dead King.
Aquaman and Dolphin fought Kadaver but were eventually overwhelmed and captured. After learning that Krush intended to use Arthur as a power play with the King, Arthur and Dolphin escaped Kadaver and fled the area. At the same time Atlantean warlocks were attempting to arrest Mera and Tempest after she had employed him in taking down the shield. Also Vulko had gained the alliance of Widowhood who were trying to break down the crown from the inside.
As a young man Arthur Curry was a very social person having a collective group of friends in School. However this was shattered when his father died as he fled from his life and everybody he knew. As Arthur traversed the world looking for Atlantis he began to harbor a lot of hatred for humans as he felt like an outcast, this hatred grew when he found Atlantis and was fed anti-human propaganda by the Atlanteans. When he fled Atlantis because he didn't want the responsibility which came with being King, Arthur became the superhero Aquaman and his faith in humanity was restored by the good people he met across the sea's.
Soon after becoming Aquaman, Arthur met Mera and they soon fell in love, this made Arthur a happier man and gave him someone to open up to. When he became King again Aquaman became a lot more serious rarely stopping to have any form of fun. His dedication to Atlantis gave him little room for a social life so his only friends were the Justice League and his old friend from school. Arthur never truly opened up to anyone else, only ever confiding in Mera.
Relationship with Allies
- Tula: Even though Tula is Arthur's step-sister she still usually treats him in a very formal way, leaving very little space for bonding. However while spending time with her outside her duties in The Drift she tends to be a lot more open and playful.
- Vulko: Before he staged the war between the surface world and Atlantis Arthur was very friendly to Vulko treating him like an old family friend as he was grateful for everything he had done for him and his mother. However Arthur viewed Vulko as a traitor to him and Atlantis once he staged the war, even though Vulko did it to put Arthur back on the throne. Arthur would often begrudgingly visit Vulko in his prison cell to seek knowledge as he knew Vulko was still loyal to him.
- Atlanna: Arthur had little memory of his mother as a child, instead he grew up hoping that his mother was still out there. When Orm told him that their mother was dead he was distraught. Years later when he was faced with the possibility of his mother's survival he stopped at nothing to get her back. When Arthur met Atlanna she originally viewed him as an imposter, however he was able to convince her in the end and Aquaman left her feeling good about what his mother had become.
- Commander Murk: When Arthur became King of Atlantis again after the war with the surface Murk was one of the soldiers closely associated with Arthur. Murk would often share his xenophobic opinions on the surface world with Arthur which greatly irritated him. He would also talk often about how he believed Orm was a greater King then Arthur ever would. However as time progressed Arthur and Murk grew to respect one another, Murk even went as far to let Aquaman go against King Corum's orders.
- Dolphin: Dolphin found herself and her fellow outcasts being harassed by The Drift. Forced to reveal her mutation, Arthur came to they're aid and she's stood by his side ever since. Having been able to deduce the former kings identity long before Crush had captured and interrogated them, Dolphin chooses to stick with the former king in the hopes that he'll take back Atlantis from it's cruel usurper.
- People of Amnesty Bay: A great many of Amnesty Bay dislike Arthur for the trouble he's caused them, however they maintain an odd relationship with him as they tend to cover for their hometown hero when people come looking for him. Due to it being his home for a large portion of his life, most of Arthur's friends live in Amnesty Bay as he keeps a professional relationship with the Atlanteans. He occasionally attends events like an annual sea festival and a school reunion though he usually has to be pushed to do this. He tends to deal with people he's familiar with like Erika Watson: a childhood friend on the force, and Jenifer Posey who looks after Arthur's dog Salty.
When it came to his love life Aquaman has only ever had one love interest that is Mera, his soul mate. Although it should be stated that as a young boy Arthur had a girlfriend he would bring sea shells to as a sign of affection.
- Atlantean Hybridized Physiology: Like most Atlanteans, Arthur Curry is an offshoot homo sapien who is biologically adapted to the deep ocean environment. For most Atlanteans, this means they can breathe underwater, endure the pressures of the deep (among other adaptations), and can only spend a very limited time out of water. However due to either Aquaman's hybrid nature or his royal heritage, he possesses a number traits others of his mother's side of the species do not, for instance while he shares many of their faults he can spend an elongated time on dry land with little ill effect and is shown to be 20-50 times stronger, faster, tougher and more or less tireless compared to others of his race. Also akin to other amphibian life is his ability to not only function indefinitely within water but can easily withstand the crushing depths of the ocean deep as well as the harsh environment of the sea itself. Making Arthur among other things a super-Atlantean as well as superhuman.
- Superhuman Durability: Tough enough to resist small arms fire with minor injury, the teeth of most trench dwellers break on his body, surviving an RPG blowing in his face and thrive in the darkest deepest bowls of the ocean deep suffering no discomfort. He can even live through falling back to earth after being launched into orbit by Mera, coming back down hard on top of a sea monsters head, without injury.
- Superhuman Stamina: Aquaman is able to function much longer than any human, without tiring or becoming weak.
- Superhuman Senses: Aquaman's senses are several times more acute than human capacity, once even hearing a police siren from several miles away.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Aquaman's reflexes are heightened to levels far beyond that of any human.
- Superhuman Speed: Arthur is phenomenally fast be it while running or swimming, in the sea he's able to outrace a spy plane owned by The Operative which can travel up to speeds of Mach 5.
- Superhuman Strength: Aquaman's super Atlantean status enables him to bench insurmountable amounts of weight, towing around fishing boats while tidal waves were crashing down upon them. To knocking the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman several dozen feet away with singular blows, lifting a 160000 ton Sea Liner barehanded and as well as taking a sunken cargo ship and chucking it at the dead king. Some of his greatest feats of might however preclude pushing a tectonic plate over the entrance to the trench's lair, the heft of which is roughly 4.0678242e+22 kg. or 44 quintillion metric tons. To matching the legendary Hercules blow for blow.
- Marine Telepathy: Aquaman doesn't actually talk to fish or other aquatic fauna, but can redirect the thought processes of their brains to compel them into helping him when he needs it. He is capable of sending out world wide telepathic broadcasts if and when necessary. He can also with great difficulty assume control over the mind of the great sea Leviathan Topo but with extreme levels of difficulty as the stress of such an act left him comatose for six months. it seems he has gotten a better control over his power as commanding topo to sunder a dreadnought from Thule wasn't as difficult as it used to be.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Weaponry: Aquaman is highly sufficient in the use of a trident.
- Leadership: Arthur is the successful ruler of 70% of the World.
- Multilingualism: Arthur can speak some Polynesian.
- Dehydration: Aquaman dehydrates at a rate greater than an average human.
- Shell of Sounds: Given to him by his mother. A relic that can contain recorded memories and dialog from the user, in order to convey their memories to future generations.
- Trident of Neptune: Forged from enchanted gold by Atlan, first king of Atlantis, the trident of Neptune serves as a symbolism of the royal line. Arthur wields as both his right to rule and as a lethal weapon that can pierce mystical fortitude's and draw blood from New Gods like Darkseid. He eventually lost this trident when the villainous Siren, posing as Mera, usurped his leadership and kingdom but has since regained it.
- Trident of Poseidon (formerly): A divine blessing bestowed upon him by it's previous wielder Poseidon. The trident given to Arthur, blessing him with host of mystical powers and enchantments; as a means to help him battle the invading force known as the Thule. He eventually sacrificed it in order to destroy the encroachment of dimensions, but has been lent a replacement by the gods since then.
- Aquaman was created by Mort Weisinger and Paul Norris, originally appearing in the 1941 issue More Fun Comics #73. The version of Aquaman seen in Prime Earth continuity was created by Geoff Johns, originally published in Aquaman (Volume 7) #1 as part of The New 52.
- Arthur Curry (Prime Earth) appears as Aquaman (Prime) a playable character in the Infinite Crisis video game.
- At some point in the past, Arthur had a harpoon hand.
- 291 Appearances of Arthur Curry (Prime Earth)
- 256 Images featuring Arthur Curry (Prime Earth)
- 25 Quotations by or about Arthur Curry (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Arthur Curry (Prime Earth)
- Aquaman at dccomics.com
- Aquaman at Wikipedia.org
- Aquaman at Wikipedia.org
- Aquaman at Comic Book Database
- Aquaman at TV Tropes
- The Aquaman Shrine
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #25
- ↑ Secret Origins (Volume 3) #2
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #0
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #8
- ↑ Secret Origins (Volume 3) #5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Aquaman (Volume 7) #1
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #2
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #5
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #7
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #10
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #13
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #16
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #17
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #21
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #22
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #23
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #25
- ↑ Forever Evil #1
- ↑ Forever Evil #6
- ↑ Aquaman Annual (Volume 7) #1
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #1
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #3
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #5
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #6
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #7
- ↑ Aquaman and the Others #11
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #30
- ↑ Aquaman Annual (Volume 7) #2
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #31
- ↑ Swamp Thing (Volume 5) #32
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #32
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #33
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #34
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #35
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #37
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #38
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #40
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 38.2 Aquaman (Volume 7) #41
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 39.2 39.3 39.4 39.5 Aquaman (Volume 7) #42
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 40.3 40.4 Aquaman (Volume 7) #43
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #47
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 42.2 Aquaman (Volume 7) #48
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Aquaman (Volume 7) #49
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #52
- ↑ DC Universe: Rebirth #1
- ↑ Aquaman: Rebirth #1
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #18
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #23
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #24
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #25
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #26
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #27
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #28
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 8) #24
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #26
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #11
- ↑ Justice League (Volume 2) #17
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #4
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #29
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #44
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #46
- ↑ Secret Origins (Volume 3) #5
- ↑ Aquaman (Volume 7) #50
- ↑ Dark Nights: Metal #1
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.