Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
Centuries ago, Atlan ruled Atlantis. Atlantis expanded under his leadership with its land growing into seven different kingdoms. When his brother, Orin, became disgusted with Atlan's open race policy, he usurped power from Atlan to protect its people from polluting their bloodline. In the battle, Atlan was injured and retreated into the ocean. Orin murdered Atlan's wife and children while he was not there to protect them.
Over the next year, Atlan forged six weapons using the Alchemist's Gold to retake Atlantis. Stricken with grief for the loss of his kingdom and family, Atlan used the scepter to sink Atlantis. Of Atlantis' seven kingdoms, four were destroyed and three survived each evolving differently over the years.
- Atlantis became the hub of culture and continued to flourish with the descedents of Orin ruling the city, believing themselves to be the true rulers of Atlantis.
- Xebel took root in the Bermuda Triangle and followed Nereus. Nereus recognized he was not the leader of their bloodline and ruled until the true king could return.
- Trench lived in the deepest parts of the Mariana Trench. They would follow whomever possessed the Dead King's Scepter.
Upon Atlan's return, the Xebelians and Trench would yield to their 'true' king while the Atlanteans went to war, led by Aquaman. Atlan attempted to use his scepter to destroy Atlantis again but was stopped by the strength and willpower of Aquaman to protect the city. Atlan melted into the ground with the scepter under Arthur's power.
- Superhuman Strength: Atlan is strong enough to successfully combat Aquaman.
- Superhuman Durability: Atlan is able to withstand the huge pressures of deep ocean.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Speed
- Enhanced Senses
- Cryokinesis: For some unexplained reason Atlan has complete control over snow and ice.
- Weaponry: Atlan is highly sufficient in wielding a trident.
- Leadership: Atlan built the kingdom of Atlantis and it prospered.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Atlan was highly efficient in the art of war, including hand-to-hand combat.
- Dead King's Scepter
- Trident of Neptune (formerly)
- Atlan was created by Peter David and Esteban Maroto, first appearing in Atlantis Chronicles #5. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Atlan first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Aquaman (Volume 7) #17 by Geoff Johns and Paul Pelletier.
- 14 Appearances of Atlan (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Atlan (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Atlan (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Atlan (Prime Earth)
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."