Avery Carlton Sunderland was the President and CEO of the Sunderland Corporation - a scientific research firm that worked closely with the government agency known as the D.D.I. Sunderland became involved with Doctor Alec Holland's research into a top-secret Bio-Restorative formula. When an accident claimed the lives of Alec and his wife Linda, Sunderland set about learning as much as he could about them. He disinterred Linda Holland's remains and discovered that trace elements of the Bio-Restorative formula had bonded themselves to her skin, but the elements produced no discernible mutations or side-effects.
Some time later, he learned that Alec Holland had been transformed into a creature known as the Swamp Thing. When it appeared that the Swamp Thing had died, Sunderland had the body relocated to his Washington laboratories for examination. Sunderland contacted a former scientist named Jason Woodrue. Woodrue, who had also operated under the name the Floronic Man, had been languishing in prison for past crimes. Sunderland arranged for Woodrue's release and brought him to Washington. There, he put the criminal to work analyzing the Swamp Thing's remains. Woodrue discovered that the Swamp Thing was not actually a mutated version of Alec Holland at all. He was in fact, a wholly unique creature that had absorbed Holland's memories and personality.
The Swamp Thing soon awakened from his comatose state and broke free of the laboratory. Now aware that he could never become a normal human, the Swamp Thing flew into a frenzy and attacked Sunderland, crushing him in his arms. Upon his death, Sunderland's soul was consigned to Hell.
General Sunderland was a shrewd businessman with high-level government connections.
General Sunderland possessed the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engaged in minimal regular exercise.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 30 Appearances of Avery Carlton Sunderland (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Avery Carlton Sunderland (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Avery Carlton Sunderland (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Avery Carlton Sunderland (New Earth)
- General Sunderland at dccomics.com
- Swamp Thing at Wikipedia.org
- Avery Carlton Sunderland profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.