- You say your actions were in service to a greater justice... ? So are mine. I serve GOD's Justice!
- -- Azrael
Appearing in "Book One: Simple Sacrifices"
- Michael Lane (First appearance as Azrael)
- Harvey Bullock
- Jimmy "The Bat" Burrows (Only appearance; dies)
- Order of Purity (First appearance)
- Barbara Lane (mentioned only)
- Chanté Jericho Coles (mentioned only)
- Gotham University Nighthawks (In a photograph only)
- Gwendolyn Eliza Lane (In a photograph only)
- Henry Mitchell Lane (mentioned only)
- Jason Todd (mentioned only)
- Jean-Paul Valley (mentioned only)
- Johnny Stitches (mentioned only)
- M.J. Lane (mentioned only)
- Marion Martin Lane (In a photograph only)
- Mitchell Douglas Lane (mentioned only)
- Robin (mentioned only)
- Sacred Order of St. Dumas (mentioned only)
- Simon Hurt (mentioned only)
- Tamara Lane (mentioned only)
- Three Ghosts of Batman (In a photograph only)
Synopsis for "Book One: Simple Sacrifices"
- Synopsis not yet written.
- This is a Battle for the Cowl crossover and based on events seen in this issue seems to take place simultaneously with the first issue. Nightwing is not yet aware of Jason Todd's whereabouts and they watch the Bat-Signal appear with R.I.P. written on it.
- This issue establishes several facts about Michael Lane's origins. He is twenty-seven years old and his parents were Mitchell Lane and Barbara Lane. He graduated from East End High School with a football scholarship to Gotham University where he played for the Nighthawks. His scholarship was revoked sophmore year after he beat his coach unconscious. Enlisting in the marines, he married Chantes Cole and they had one child Henry Mitchell. During the Iraq War he served two tours with the first marine. Following this, he joined the GCPD as a uniformed patrolman and began walking a beat in his old neighborhood the East End. His son was hit by a car and killed at the age of three and his wife committed suicide several years later. His siblings Marion Lane and Gwendolyn Lane were murdered by a satanic cult, which finally broke him and he was released from the GCPD with a full pension. This was apparently a cover-up and he was instead placed in Simon Hurt's replacement Batman program.
- Abraham Arlington was first seen stealing the Suit of Sorrows in Outsiders No More.
- Harvey Bullock mentions a "hit at Nini's" which is a reference to his earlier investigation.
- The character Leland McCauley is a clear reference to the 30th Century businessman Leland McCauley, an enemy to the Legion of Super-Heroes. This man is probably an ancestor.
- The Suit of Sorrows was given to Batman by Talia al Ghul in The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Azrael: Death's Dark Knight Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Azrael: Death's Dark Knight series
- Images from Azrael: Death's Dark Knight Vol 1 1
Links and References
- Azrael (comics) at Wikipedia.org
- Azrael at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- The Religion of Azrael at Adherents
- Azrael at Geocities
- Azrael at thebatman.bravepages.com
- Azrael at Batman: Yesterday, Today and Beyond
- Azrael at Brave and the Bold