- I'm a hell of a long distance from any kind of altruist -- but as far as I know, I haven't resigned from the human race.
- -- Catwoman
Appearing in "Contagion, Part Ten: Contagion"
Synopsis for "Contagion, Part Ten: Contagion"
Catwoman is shocked when Batman tells her that it is impossible to develop a cure from Leanore's blood because she was never infected by the virus therefore her blood didn't have the necessary antibodies to create a cure. She just was naturally immune to it as well as the other two survivors. Batman, Catwoman and Nightwing feared that there was no hope left for Gotham City.
Meanwhile, Alfred watches as Tim's state worsens. Jean-Paul Valley watched on the news that the shape of the virus has been discovered and he remembered seing that shape in one of the laboratories of the Order of St. Dumas in Africa.
At that moment in one of the Order's headquarters, Brother Rollo was inquiring Brother Zoo about the events related to the virus. Zoo confessed he had spread the virus in Greenland to test it and when it proved successful, he infected another Order's member, Daniel Maris to take the plague to Gotham City. He also confessed that he was the one who ordered the attack on Kendall Stuart. Brother Rollo asked him if he took the writings from the African laboratory but Zoo didn't know anything about that. When Rollo finished his investigation he ordered the acolytes to kill Zoo and they let their hounds have Zoo.
With the writings that Azrael took from Africa, Sister Lilhy started to translate the text and then she gave it to Jean-Paul. The translated text was the recipe for the cure to the virus and Jean-Paul as Azrael set out to deliver the cure to Gotham. When he was near his car, he was attacked by some of the Order of St. Dumas' acolytes and with them was LeHah, but he ran away at the sight of Azrael. Azrael took down the acolytes and raced to Gotham. He eluded the National Guard to get to the city and delivered the cure to the nearest hospital.
Nightwing took the cure's recipe to the batcave to cure Tim but when he arrived Alfred tells him that it is already too late.
- This is the tenth part of the Batman: Contagion storyline; as stated in the cover.
- The events of this issue takes place between Catwoman #32 and Robin #28.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Contagion collected edition, as well as the 2016 edition.
- Batman states that Gotham's population is seven and a half million.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Azrael Vol 1 16 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Azrael series
- Images from Azrael Vol 1 16
Links and References
The events from this issue are related to the Contagion crossover that went through the Batman Family Titles in 1996, in which Gotham City had an epidemic of a mutant strand of the Ebola virus. The events of Contagion lead into Batman: Legacy, Batman: Cataclysm, and ultimately No Man's Land.