Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
- Even at eight years old... I knew "promise" was a nicer way of saying "lie".
- -- Kid Flash src
Originally a boy from Altros Prime in the 30th Century, Bar Torr spent most of his youth under the shadow of the regime of the Functionary. He lost his parents to the Functionary's brutal agents, the Purifiers, and had to take care of his younger sister Shira. They got by with petty theft and murder, and he eventually left her in the care of a monastery.
Too young to exact revenge on the purifiers, he joined them instead. As an unorganized band of paramilitary hoodlums, they had jobs on the side, and soon after his induction, Bar became a smuggler. On one of his trips, he crash landed, and found that his wounds healed in no time. He also discovered he had gained super speed, but did not know how. Nor did he care. With his powers, he made short work of the purifiers sent to retrieve his cargo, and then took down their base.
With other disenfranchised people, he started a rebellion, and led them with great vigor. He secured countless victories, until one day, he came across his wounded sister on the battlefield. Raised by the nuns, she became an agent of the Functionary. Now, his actions had left her fighting for her life. Disillusioned, he turned himself in, and offered full cooperation in taking down the rebel network he created.
As his former allies wanted him dead, he was placed in witness protection. In the thirtieth century, that meant brought back to the past. His memory was wiped, and he was placed on the doorstep of an orphanage.
Getting used to the new era, Bar - now Bart Allen - thought he was related to the Flash (Barry Allen), because of their similar powers. So six months after his arrival, he adopted the name Kid Flash in the Scarlet Speedster's honor.
He was recruited by Red Robin to join the Teen Titans. After having his molecules sped up by Superboy's tactile telekinesis, he was brought to S.T.A.R. Labs for diagnostics. Virgil Hawkins, an intern, discovered the "chronal" anomaly and deduced that he might be from the future. He also provided the youngster with a new uniform; one that could keep his molecules aligned. Bart would eventually meet Flash, and discover that he was not related to him or to the Speed Force. Memories started to come back, but nothing major
Back to the Future
The Echo Chronal Authority, which had sent him back in time, eventually transported him back to the 30th Century, but the other Titans were brought with him. After a short fight with Purifiers, in which Solstice and the others learned of his darker nature when he brutally killed a man, the Echo captured him. In their prison facility, his past was explained to his teammates by commander Brain 3.
- Superhuman Speed: Bar Torr possesses the power to move at superhuman speed, although he does not draw his power from the Speed Force, like other speedsters.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Reflexes: As a speedster, Bar possesses reflexes that are far greater than those of any human.
- Accelerated Healing: Bar can heal at rates much faster than normal humans, presumably due to his speed increasing his metabolism.
- Electrokinesis: While moving at superhuman speed, Bar's body generates an aura of electricity, presumably due to the great amount of friction his body is producing. This electrical energy is not a result of a Speed Force connection, due to him not possessing one.
- Power Instability: Because of his temporal connection to his timeline he vibrates at a frequency that can be easily disrupted by his own speed as well as telekinesis.
- Kid Flash (Bart Allen) was created by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo, first appearing in Flash Vol 2. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth's New 52 Teen Titans series.
- Bart is dating Solstice.
- 65 Appearances of Bar Torr (Prime Earth)
- 42 Images featuring Bar Torr (Prime Earth)
- 8 Quotations by or about Bar Torr (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Bar Torr (Prime Earth)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
|Teen Titans member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Teen Titans members" category.