The 16-year old Barbara assumed the identity of Batgirl in order to rescue her father from the clutches of her former friend, Poison Ivy. During this adventure, she crossed paths with the Batman, and managed to rescue her father without revealing her secret identity. Batgirl insinuated her way into the Dark Knight's lifestyle, despite Batman's persistent discouragement over her chosen profession. She even succeeded in determining that Batman was actually Bruce Wayne, but Wayne managed to manipulate circumstances to ensure the safety of his secret identity.
For a brief period, Barbara dismissed her belief that Bruce and the Batman were one and the same. She continued to aid the Dark Knight against the likes of the Joker and Clayface, and even piloted the heavy duty Batbot armor. For all of his efforts however, Bruce could not convince Barbara to give up this risky lifestyle, and she constantly complained that Batman was keeping her "out of the loop". Before long, Barbara discovered that Batman had taken on an official partner – the young aerialist known as Robin. Barbara was infuriated, but Batman soon took her into his confidence and revealed his true identity to her. Bringing her down into the Batcave, he supplied her with a utility belt and Batgirl became one of Batman's official partners. She currently serves as a perfunctory sidekick, working alongside (sometimes reluctantly) her teammate, Robin.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Batman and is an adaptation of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The original character was created by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in Detective Comics #359.
- 20 Appearances of Barbara Gordon (The Batman)
- 8 Images featuring Barbara Gordon (The Batman)
- Quotations by or about Barbara Gordon (The Batman)
- Character Gallery: Barbara Gordon (The Batman)