Barbara Gordon was the daughter of Commissioner James Gordon and a librarian. She met Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson at the Gotham City Public Library. As Barbara and Bruce become acquainted, Killer Moth and his Mothmen (who are in the library in full costume) discussed a plan of attack. One Mothman suggested taking Bruce Wayne hostage, but Killer Moth was reluctant, due to Bruce's alleged friendship with Batman. Killer Moth directed the group to kidnap Bruce's business acquaintance Roger Montrose instead, who also happened to be a billionaire. When Bruce and Dick realized the presence of their adversaries, they quickly left the library to change into their alter egos. When Batman and Robin entered the library, Killer Moth used his cocoon spinning spray gun to imprison the Dynamic Duo in a huge cocoon. Barbara was locked in the library's adjoining room by Killer Moth, where there is a secret closet containing her Batgirl costume; she escaped the library via the closet to appear outside the window. Batgirl then smashed straight through the window and overpowered the villains (during which the library is trashed), before using a powerful laser in her Batgirl-compact to free Batman and Robin from the cocoon. The Terrific Trio then finish off Killer Moth and his henchmen together.
Afterwards, Batman asked Batgirl who she really was, but she refused to tell him on the grounds that Batman would never reveal his true identity to anyone. Leaving Batman and Robin wondering, Batgirl rode off on her Batgirl-cycle.
- Utility Belt
- Compact Laser
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Batman and is an adaptation of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. The original character was created by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino and first appeared in Detective Comics #359.
- Barbara Gordon was portrayed by Yvonne Craig.
- Barbara Gordon had actually made her first appearance in an unaired and untitled 7½-minute pilot episode (see History section above for synopsis), which took place solely in the Gotham City Public Library (apart from a brief scene at Gotham City Police Headquarters, when Commissioner Gordon talks to Barbara on the telephone), before her televised origin in "Enter Batgirl, Exit Penguin". The guest cast for the pilot were Tim Herbert as Killer Moth and Joey Tata as the leading Mothman.
- For her first on-screen appearance in the pilot episode (see previous footnote), Yvonne Craig wore a mask with pointed edges as Batgirl, but this left red marks on her face and so was changed to a rounded one for the series to alleviate the problem.
- The 2003 CBS movie Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt featured a brief scene with the Barbara Gordon/Batgirl character, portrayed by Erin Carufel. Yvonne Craig, unlike her on-screen co-stars Adam West and Burt Ward, did not return for the movie.
- 9 Appearances of Barbara Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 12 Images featuring Barbara Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- Quotations by or about Barbara Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- Character Gallery: Barbara Gordon (Batman 1966 TV Series)
|1966-1968 Batman television series and the 1966 Batman feature film. This template will categorize articles that include it into Batman TV Series Characters.|
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.