At some point in the early 19th century, Lemuel and Martha Lash gave birth to their son, Bartholomew, at their farmhouse in the state of Texas. Martha raised Bart to be a well-spoken and intelligent individual, but his hard-working father preferred to see his son grow up to appreciate the solid efforts of a good day's labor. Taking cues from both of them, Bart grew into the sort of unconventional individual neither parent could have predicted.
As Bart grew older, he demonstrated an apathetic attitude towards violence, preferring instead a life of pure self-indulgence. He was always well mannered and well groomed, and even took to fastening a flower inside of the band of his hat.
Soon after however, Bart's life took a darker turn. Corrupt county officials had swindled the Lashes out of their farmland forcing them to vacate. While Lemuel, Martha and Bart’s siblings sought shelter elsewhere, Bart went to the authorities. His efforts to seek justice failed however, and he earned himself the enmity of a corrupt Sheriff's office. An argument ensued – one, which led to a duel between Bart and a local deputy. Unable to talk himself out of the affair, Bart was forced to gun the officer down.
Lash soon found himself a fugitive from justice. Wanted by the authorities, he sought refuge in a small cabin that his family had taken as shelter. However when he arrived, he found that the building had been put to the torch. Both Lemuel and Martha Lash died in the blaze. He gathered his surviving friends and family and brought them to the sanctuary of a convent. From that moment onward, Bart (now calling himself Bat) sought to avenge the deaths of his parents.
- Charisma: Bat Lash was known for his charm and ever-present smile. While he often relied upon this to get out of trouble, he was also known to use his affable personality to charm the ladies.
- Firearms: Bat Lash always referred to himself as a "peaceable man", but this did not detract from his skills with a pistol. Bat was extremely fast on the draw, and could oftentimes outdraw multiple opponents.
- Gambling: Bat Lash was extremely proficient when it came to games of chance. However, as he often had to rely on cheating and subterfuge to make ends meet, this trade had required him to become a skilled hand-to-hand combatant as well. As such, Bat Lash could hold his own in a barroom brawl and was skilled with firing a six-shooter.
- Fisticuffs: Bat Lash was more than capable of holding his own in a fight - a skill that often came to use whenever he found himself at a Faro table or a saloon.
Bat Lash often rode a horse owned by his family named Amarillo. Bat also had a horse named Daisy.
- Colt: Bat Lash carried a Colt .44 six-shooter though he was reluctant to use it, preferring instead to charm his way out of sticky situations. He also carried a small, single-shot .25 caliber Derringer, which he kept hidden inside of his pocket watch case.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In Earth-One continuity, Bat Lash's father was named Lemuel. In New Earth continuity, his father's name is Zeke.
- An advertising slogan used to promote Bat Lash's first appearance in Showcase read, "Will he save the West or ruin it?"
- 70 Appearances of Bartholomew Lash (New Earth)
- 18 Images featuring Bartholomew Lash (New Earth)
- 7 Quotations by or about Bartholomew Lash (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Bartholomew Lash (New Earth)
- Bat Lash at dccomics.com
- Bat Lash at Wikipedia.org
- Bat Lash article at Wikipedia
- Bat Lash biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Bat Lash entry at Toonpedia
- Bat Lash chronology index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Bat Lash series index at the Grand Comics Database
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."