A citizen of Kandor, Basqat was a soldier in Major Zod's army. At the request of the Krypton Council, he gave a sample of his blood to them to be put in the orb like the other soldiers so they would be resurrected through cloning if Krypton was destroyed.
When Basqat and the rest of Zod's army were transported to Earth through unknown means, they questioned their depowered states and rebelled against Zod, taking him hostage until they realized what they were to do. However, Zod managed to win back their trust and allegiance to him. Weeks later, Basqat was with Alia and Faora when Zod spoke to them about capturing the traitor Jor-El. Later, he abducted Jor-El from Tess Mercer's cellar, then released Jor-El after Zod was done interrogating him.
Basqat was at Zod's warehouse headquarters where Zod was handing out assignments to his soldiers to ensure the completion of the solar tower when Clark Kent appeared and Zod ordered his soldiers to "Kneel before Kal-El," to Basqat's disgust. About a year later, Basqat was in the Fortress of Solitude with Zod and his fellow soldiers when Clark confronted Zod over the death of Faora. He sided with Zod and, with his recently-received powers, flew away with the rest of the Kandorians.
To begin the war on Earth, Basqat seared Zod's mark on the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Later, when the entire Kandorian army confronted Clark on a rooftop where he was about to use the Book of Rao, it was revealed that Zod was responsible for Faora's death. Basqat confessed that Zod was to be dealt with on their new world. After the Book of Rao was activated, Basqat, along with his fellow Kandorians, were sent to their new home.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Basqat possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Basqat's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Basqat can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Basqat's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Basqat's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Basqat can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Basqats can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Basqat can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Basqat is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Basqat is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Basqat is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Basqat's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Basqat is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Basqat is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Basqat possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Basqat was portrayed by Adrian Holmes who also portrayed Griff.
- "Basqat" is the name of a Kryptonian that appeared in the story arc "Godfall". It is unclear if the character was adapted for Smallville, or just the name.
- 5 Appearances of Basqat (Smallville)
- 2 Images featuring Basqat (Smallville)
- Quotations by or about Basqat (Smallville)
- Character Gallery: Basqat (Smallville)
|Smallville television series. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: Smallville Characters.|