- Maybe she'll decide to get her kicks outta books or sumpthin' less dangerous.
- -- Wildcat
Appearing in "Future-Tense"
Synopsis for "Future-Tense"
Barbara Gordon strives to receive training from the Black Canary, but is unable to reach her. Justice Society veteran Wildcat finds her on the roof of the team’s Gotham City brownstone. He discourages her from pursuing a career in crime fighting.
In an effort to show her father up, she decides to attend the Gotham City Police Department's Million Dollar Masquerade Ball dressed up as her father’s colleague Batman. Donning a custom made costume; she arrives at the function but never gets the chance to get under Gordon’s skin. A masked villain named Killer Moth and his henchmen raid the lodge house and hold everyone at gunpoint. Most of the guests mistakenly believe that the Moth is merely a rowdy guest, but Barbara knows that he is for real. Leaping into super-hero action for the first time, Batgirl begins fighting Killer Moth and his goons. She manages to disarm several of his cronies and chases Moth out onto the country club grounds. Killer Moth gets away by leaping aboard a hovering getaway helicopter. Batman and Robin arrive after the fight and begin to interrogate Batgirl.
- Barbara appears in her Batgirl costume for the first time in this issue.
- Donald, the library research assistant, appeared last in issue #1.
- This comic book features advertisements for the following products:
- —Winter X Games on ESPN
- —Ratchet & Clank video game for Playstation 2
- —Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, Inc.
- —Tony's - original crust pizza
- —Starburst fruit candy
- —Sonic the Hedgehog video game collection series
- —Freevibe anti-drug public service announcement
- —DC Comics - Batman: Hush comic book issues
- —Wizard Magazine 10th Annual Wizard Fan Awards survey
- —DC Comics - Superman & Batman: Generations limited series comic book
- —Magic the Gathering customizable card game
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batgirl: Year One Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batgirl: Year One series
- Detective Comics #359 (1st appearance of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl)
- Batgirl Special (Final appearance of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl)
- Batman: The Killing Joke (The Joker cripples Barbara Gordon)
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe II (Batgirl profile)
Links and References
- Barbara Gordon article at Wikipedia
- Batgirl biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Batgirl: Year One series index at the Grand Comics Database Project