"Bread and Circuses: Part One": When Batman fights a street gang over a graffiti tag, he realizes that the people in Gotham City were not afraid of him any more and were even disrespectful towards everything that Batman stands for. Batman decides that it is time t
Appearing in "Bread and Circuses: Part One"
- Two-Face (Behind the scenes)
- Jared Kern
- Bat Remote Radio
Synopsis for "Bread and Circuses: Part One"
When Batman fights a street gang over a graffiti tag, he realizes that the people in Gotham City were not afraid of him any more and were even disrespectful towards everything that Batman stands for. Batman decides that it is time to let all of Gotham know that he is back for good and to reinstate the fear in the criminal's hearts; but he needed help and he knew exactly who can help him.
Meanwhile, the Blue Boys fight against the Wreckers and the Xhosa who were working together to claim Blue Boys' territory as their own. The Blue Boys managed to keep the gangs at bay but the fight cost them the life of one of them. Foley was upset for the outcome and he believed that they must keep their forces trying to protect their territory instead of trying to go against the other street gangs. James Gordon couldn't help but secretly agree with Foley's way of thinking.
The Penguin reopened the Iceberg Lounge inside Davenport building and he was managing an underground trade market where he offered goods in exchange of other goods and it was a meeting place for all sort of evil-doers remaining in Gotham, as well as honest people trying to find something to eat. Secretly, a man inside the place was a spy for Oracle and keeps her abreast about any unusual activity in the club.
After Commissioner Gordon takes one last look at the fallen officer, a voice speaks to him. It was someone that Gordon knew too well and didn't want to talk to, but the man insisted. He offered Gordon his help and told him that they should mantain an alliance in order to keep law and justice working, even in that outlaw land. Gordon tried to refuse but in the end he agreed on making an alliance with the undisclosed man.
Batman contacts Oracle in order to learn about the hangout for criminals in the "new Gotham". Oracle told him about Penguin's Iceberg Lounge and Batman hurried to the place along with Batgirl. Batman wanted to make his grand appearance there and he decided to go inside telling Batgirl to stay behind and that if he didn't make it, Gotham was hers. At that moment, Penguin was organizing a competition in which the winner would take with him fresh food enough for a week of rationing, but first they must defeat the Lounge's champion: Dozer. Dozer was a big man capable of beating a regular man with ease; but before the fight was started, Batman stopped it and told the Penguin that there was a new game in town and just both of them.
- This No Man's Land events happened after Detective Comics #731. The storyline Bread and Circuses continues in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #85.
- There is a screen monitor with Mac OS logo, but the name reads Matt OS.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 117 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.