"Power Play": Batman arrived at Gotham City's Chinatown and found that several gang members were frozen in solid ice. As he was examining the scene, a rival gang appeared and attacked Batman. With ease and lecturing the thugs in the art of fighting, Batman defeate
Appearing in "Power Play"
- Mr. Freeze (Flashback and main story)
- Ghost Dragons (Single appearance)
- Nora Fries (Dies in flashback)
- Gotham City Chinatown
- Power Plant
Synopsis for "Power Play"
Batman arrived at Gotham City's Chinatown and found that several gang members were frozen in solid ice. As he was examining the scene, a rival gang appeared and attacked Batman. With ease and lecturing the thugs in the art of fighting, Batman defeated all of them and questioned the last man standing about the frozen victims. The thug told Batman that they were attacked by Mister Freeze when they showed up in his territory and the man also told Batman about Freeze's location nearby the power plant.
Batman went to the power plant and discovered that Freeze had built and ice castle to the side of the plant and that he was using some hired help to run the power plant and supply chinatown with energy, but he was doing so by burning stolen furniture. Batman deviced a way to get inside the plant and then he moved on to Freeze's castle.
Mister Freeze was alone, remembering her deceased wife Nora Fries and how he held Batman responsible for her death and he swore in her name thatall he was doing was in her name. Batman heard that and tried to prove Freeze wrong, but he attacked Batman with his cold gun. Batman dodged the attack and then the two of them stared at each other trying to figure out what would their next move will be. Freeze attacked again with his gun and Batman avoided it's touch. Freeze questioned Batman about the motives behind his vigilantism and while Freeze was speaking Batman lured him to a narrow corridor. Batman then used a Batarang to disarm Freeze. The gun fell several feet down below but Freeze dived, caught the gun in mid-air, used it to create a pat of ice to reach Batman and then freezed him with the cold gun. Freeze thought it was all over, but the castle started to crumble. At first Freeze believed it was another earthquake but then he realized that the power plant was overheating and the pressure valves had exploded. The vibrations helped Batman out of the ice and then he told Freeze that he caused that reaction in the power plant. They began fighting again in the middle of fire and ice and a few seconds later the power plant exploded and both fell down to the river. On the surface, Batman told Freeze that it was over but Freeze was mounted in a block of ice from the castle, floating in the river. Batman watched how Freeze slowly moved out of reach and his castle was destroyed to the ground. Freeze warned Batman that he would return and the Dark Knight replied that he would be waiting.
- In the flashbacks, Mr. Freeze's suit is the same as the one featured in his animated counterpart.
- The flashbacks also stablished that Nora Fries died when a blast from Freeze's gun struck her frozen body and destroyed her into pieces. In an editorial mistake, she was brought back to life in later stories.
- There is a reference to the Iliad. Batman used the same tactic know as the Trojan Horse to enter inside the Gotham Power Plant.
- There are also references to the game Chess during Freeze and Batman's fight and also to Mary Shelley's creation Frankenstein.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 121 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series
- Images from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 1 121
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.