- Man needs no divine assistance. He makes himself! I chose to exterminate the zombies. I chose to kill. But I hurt myself, too -- to remind me that even I am only human!
- -- Mister Zsasz
Appearing in "The Last Arkham (Part II of IV)"
- Stan Kitch (Apparent Death)
- Maxie Zeus
- Karen Spengler (Single appearance)
- Mister Spengler (Only appearance; dies)
- Mrs. Spengler (Only appearance; dies)
- Unnamed Spengler sibling (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "The Last Arkham (Part II of IV)"
The following takes place prior to the main story from issue #1: Batman finds a young girl named Karen Spengler playing in a cemetery. Recognizing signs of abuse, he escorts her back home. When they arrive though, Batman discovers that her parents and brother have been brutally murdered. A vagrant is found at the scene and questioned by police. Batman recognizes the handiwork being similar to that of serial killer Mister Zsasz. Consulting with Commissioner Gordon, they both decide to take a ride out to Arkham Asylum to verify that Zsasz is still incarcerated.
They meet hospital administrator Jeremiah Arkham who provides Batman and Gordon with a tour of the facility. Batman knows that Zsasz's M.O. required him to scar his own flesh after each new kill. A full body examination reveals no new scarring, but they neglect to check the bottom of Zsasz's feet. They entertain the notion that a copycat killer might be responsible for the Spengler deaths, but Batman hasn't ruled Zsasz out as a suspect. Zsasz gloats at them and gives Batman a verbal cue about an "innocent babe" that makes Batman suspect him even more. However, he needs to determine how Zsasz escaped from Arkham, but moreover, if he did escape -- why did he come back?
Returning to the city, Batman and Gordon meet up with Detective Stanley Kitch who discover two more victims of the Zsasz-style killings. Two students are found dead in their apartment having apparently been killed several hours prior to the Spengler murders.
Without warning, Batman snaps, leaping upon Detective Kitch, beating upon him repeatedly until he is seemingly dead. Gordon manages to lay him out with the butt of his pistol, then arranges to have Batman taken to Arkham.
At Arkham, Batman is placed inside a maximum-security cell.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Volume )
Links and References
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat at Wikipedia
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat at DCU Guide
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat at Comic Vine
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat at Comicbookdb.com
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat at the Grand Comics Database Project
|The Last Arkham|
|Part One: Shadow of the Bat #1||Part Two: Shadow of the Bat #2||Part Three: Shadow of the Bat #3||Shadow of the Bat #4|